Most people get the real impression of their belongings only when they are moving. Actually, moving is always an opportunity to find things you haven’t used or seen for ages, because they were buried deep inside the closet.
Packing and transporting all those items may be challenging both for you and your wallet, so finding proper moving boxes should be one of the priority tasks when you are planning a move. When sorting your items and preparing for the move, consider de-cluttering, because you don’t need unused or old things transferred to your new place.
Luckily, there are a lot of places where you can get cardboard boxes for free or for a fee: restaurants, grocery stores, moving companies, book stores, online shops. However, beware of the cheap, poor-quality cardboard boxes which can let you down easily on the moving day. Unfortunately, there are a lot of moving boxes for sale on the internet described as new or in good condition, but when you buy them, you actually realize that it is not the case.
A suitable moving box must be able to withstand many other boxes stacked on top of the box without damaging the items inside.
Also, once the move is completed, there will be a lot of empty cardboard boxes making huge amount of waste. The good news is that some of them are recyclable, but since most of them are usually damaged or stained, recycling is not an option. Using already used cardboard boxes your items are likely to get damaged during the transport. Lack of durability and quality is what makes those boxes a moderate-quality solution.
On the other hand, rented plastic container is a preferable alternative to cardboard boxes. Moving companies or box rental companies are offering plastic bins that you can rent at really affordable price and return once the move is completed. Moving professionals will also help you establish how many plastic bins you will need.
If you are living in a big city, there are a lot of similar companies. Call as many of them as you can, compare the prices, terms and conditions and availability. Furthermore, bare in mind that long-distance moves can be problematic in terms of renting plastic bins, so you may be forced to use cardboard boxes instead.
Pros of renting plastic moving containers
– Most probably moving company you have hired to assist you with moving can offer plastic bins. They will deliver the containers and pick them up at your new location once the move is over.
– There is no need for box hunting weeks before the moving day. You just have to call or visit the moving company and explain the situation. They will help you determine the exact number of the boxes.
– The containers are fully assembled.
– The containers are environmentally friendly and can be used over and over again. On the other hand, cardboard boxes can be used just a few times.
– By using plastic bins you will avoid creating additional waste and perform more eco-friendly move.
– Rented plastic moving containers are durable and sturdy and equipped with hand grips which make them perfect for moving.
– The moving containers fit perfectly together, so it will be much easier for you or your movers to pack them into the moving truck. On the other hand, cardboard boxes are not stackable.
– Labeling those containers is pretty simple using erasable markers.
– When the move is over, you don’t have to think about ways of getting rid of the boxes. After you finish unpacking, box rental company or moving company will come by and pick up the boxes.