Moving large musical instruments is not easy to do. Besides their size and weight, they usually have a significant value. With a professional Manhattan moving company like Dumbo Moving and Storage, you can be sure that your instrument relocation will go smoothly. Besides residential and commercial moves, our company specializes in the transportation of heavy objects like pianos. Our piano movers NYC have all the right equipment and skills to handle your piano move. Contact us to learn everything you wanted to know about moving a piano and why we are among the best moving companies NYC has to offer.
It’s no secret that moving grand pianos calls for the professional assistance of the reputable piano moving companies. Due to its particular shape and weight, a piano is one of the most challenging items to relocate when moving into a new home. For obvious reasons, moving a piano is not nearly like moving any other piece of furniture. You need to take care of each component to keep your valuable and expensive piano safe during the relocation process.
Also, given its weight, you should think twice if you plan to move it yourself. Although reducing moving costs seems so appealing, a DIY move may cost you even more eventually. Depending on the make and model of the instrument, upright pianos can weigh more than 1000 pounds. Therefore, you will come to realize that hiring our specialty piano movers NYC is a worthwhile investment in the long run.
Tips on hiring piano moving companies
Moving a piano successfully takes more than just plain manpower. Getting as many assistants as you can is essential, but they should be adequately equipped and trained for this kind of job to avoid some severe injuries. Furthermore, cumbersome as it is, your piano might not fit through the door at first. On top of that, knowing that you will have to take the piano up and down stairs may make the idea of moving it yourself even less appealing at this point. At Dumbo Moving and Storage, our movers who specialize in piano moving know how to take the instrument apart safely and then reassemble it at its final destination.
By using moving dollies and special board, our reliable NYC movers will make sure that your piano gets to the new location safe and sound without any scratches. Lifting heavy items is always tricky and incorrect managing can be dangerous for your health, so hiring professional piano moving company would be the best thing to do. They will undoubtedly know how to minimize the risk of damage.
Provided that you can afford it, hiring one of the best NYC moving companies specializing in moving pianos is the most convenient thing to do. Also, replacing any of the components or the whole piano due to the damage is much more expensive than hiring professional piano movers Brooklyn to take care of it. Once you have your piano safely delivered, you will realize that the investment was worthwhile.
How to choose a reputable piano moving company?
If you live in a small town, chances are that your choice will be limited to a couple of local moving professionals, let alone reputable piano movers NYC. On the other hand, large metropolitan areas like New York offer a wide range of moving companies you can rely on when trying to move your piano.
Here at Dumbo Moving and Storage we completely understand that pianos have great sentimental and monetary value and we treat them accordingly. We realize that a piano is not just a piece of furniture. Due to its unusual shape and numerous components, something can quickly go wrong if it’s not handled professionally with appropriate equipment. If your instrument gets damaged during transport, repairing and replacing certain parts can cost you a small fortune.
Therefore, take your time to research piano moving companies in the area to get the best possible deal for quality services. Request several moving quotes from different moving companies to get a clear idea of how much the entire piano moving endeavor will cost you.
Is it hard to find reliable piano moving companies?
As a matter of fact, finding reliable piano moving companies shouldn’t be difficult if you take the task seriously. If you look carefully, you will realize that there are a lot of decent companies that offer quality moving services with no strings attached. Here are some suggestions on how to make a wise decision:
- Local piano teachers or vendors may be able to provide you with some referrals.
- Doing a background check on several piano moving companies will help you identify reputable movers and help you keep away from the fraudulent moving companies as well.
- Reputable movers will gladly provide you with their license, insurance, and USDOT number. Although hiring trustworthy piano movers NYC is not a cheap affair, choose your movers according to the references and their expertise. Only highly reputable moving specialists will appreciate your belongings and make a great effort to accomplish the task. Trying to save money on such an important event can lead to a series of wrong choices and bad decisions. While it’s always tempting to hire movers that offer the lowest moving quote in NYC, you should find a balance between good quality services and reasonable pricing.
- Reach out to the previous customers to find out whether they were happy with the service. Other people’s experience and testimonials may be really valuable during the selection process. Also, online ratings and moving reviews may reveal a lot of helpful information about the most reputable piano moving companies in NYC. On the other hand, online resources can point out fraudulent moving companies that are looking to take advantage of your household belongings.
The cost of hiring piano movers NYC
The chosen piano moving company should provide written moving estimate stating the exact costs and other terms of the move. The overall cost of hiring the best piano movers NYC will be based on the size, weight, moving distance, date and time of the move, possible obstacles that may complicate the move as well as the flight of stairs… To get an accurate moving estimate, you should provide your movers with the correct information. Or, even better, let them assess the piano and your home themselves.
Several factors will affect the final cost of moving a piano:
- make and model of the instrument (upright, grand piano…)
- size and weight
- moving date
- moving distance (local, long-distance, international move,…)
- potential obstacles and additional moving services(long carry fees, elevator fees, storage fee, extra stops, express delivery fee…)
Also, when you get in touch with the moving company, find out whether you need to purchase additional insurance, or your homeowner’s one will suffice. Before signing any contract discuss with your moving company basic terms and conditions of the move as well as the moving insurance matter. Make sure your insurance policy provides appropriate coverage in case of any damage during the relocation process.
Find out what you can do to make the process easier and less expensive if possible. The more tasks they have to complete, the higher the moving quote will be. However, if you are hesitant whether to reach out to the piano moving companies or not, just remember that they are entirely competent for that and no one but them will be able to provide such an efficient and reliable service.
Moving a piano on your own – why is it a bad idea?
Chances are you won’t be able to manage the entire moving process without the assistance of reliable and strong helpers. Gathering as many volunteers as possible to help you move your precious piano to the new location. However, you will need at least four people to be able to handle the instrument the right way.
Proper moving equipment is one of the essential prerequisites for a successful outcome of the move. To move a piano without hiring professional help, you should get hold of the right tools. Items like a moving dolly, heavy duty furniture straps/ropes and furniture blankets will be of great help.
Preparing your piano for the move is not going to be an easy task. First of all, you will need to take its legs apart and pack them separately. Also, you will need to close and lock the lid and wrap the body of the piano with durable furniture blankets.
Last but not least – you should make sure that the safety of the instrument is your primary concern when moving a piano. Do not underestimate the importance of an appropriate dress code on moving day. Make sure both you and your helpers wear the right type of comfortable clothing. If you are not sure that you can handle the instrument on your own, the best thing to do is to hire our piano movers NYC.
Some pianos weigh more than 1000 pounds. Deciding to move it yourself with a couple of friends would be just reckless. Bear in mind that not every household moving company specializes in moving pianos. Piano movers NYC know how to disassemble, pack, protect, load and unload the instrument. But, more importantly, they will ensure your peace of mind by doing their job with the utmost care and precision.
Why should you hire our piano movers NYC?
Should I hire piano movers to transport my instrument to the new residence or can I move it myself? How much will the best piano movers NYC charge me? Can I move a piano without injuring my back? These are some of the most common concerns when it comes to moving a piano to a new home. You are about to move to a new NYC home and don’t know what to expect throughout the daunting moving process. Hopefully, we will shed some light on your doubts and help you move your precious instrument safely.
- Moving a piano is way more complicated than it looks like. People often underestimate the challenge of moving a piano and decide to move it yourself. You should know that it takes more than a couple of volunteers and proper equipment. However, having your treasured piano safely delivered to your new home is priceless. If you are not up to the piano moving challenge, leave the task to the professionals with extensive relevant experience. And it goes without saying: don’t forget to reward and tip your movers for doing an outstanding job so skillfully and professionally.
- Avoid a possible moving injury. Moving a piano is associated with a lot of heavy lifting and carrying around, so unless you’ve already done it several times with well-trained helpers, hiring the best piano movers NYC would be a wise thing to do. Otherwise, make sure you are familiar with the most important lifting techniques to avoid hurting yourself or damaging the interior of your home.
- Moving a piano takes a lot of time and preparations. Moving a piano may seem somewhat scary at first. Especially when considering all the preparatory steps and the complexity of heavy lifting. No matter how brave you are, one wrong move could lead to serious health injuries during the move or to damage to the property. Piano’s excessive weight and size make the transportation from point A to point B a real challenge for inexperienced people.
How to hire the best piano movers in the city?
Proper planning is the key to a successful household move. The decision to pack and move on your own may save you some money, but sooner or later you will end up wondering whether it was worthwhile.
During the first preparation stage, it becomes clear that some household items are more challenging to handle than others. Moving such a bulky item usually calls for professional assistance.
Instead of attempting to move it yourself, you should contact our local NYC moving company and find out more information about terms of the piano move. However, not all moving companies are capable of handling your household goods professionally and efficiently. With Dumbo Moving and Storage, your musical instrument will be in the hands of the best piano movers NYC.
The chosen relocation company should have a proper license and registration with the Department of Transportation. You can verify their USDOT number just to be sure that you are dealing with trustworthy movers. Furthermore, your piano movers NYC should offer an insurance policy that would provide sufficient coverage. Extra coverage will provide additional protection and your peace of mind during the process.
Moving a piano on your own
So, you decided to take on the responsibility of moving a piano yourself? If you have, you should take the following steps into account.
- Make sure the pathways are clear from obstacles. Also, make sure that there are no potentially dangerous objects on the way to the moving truck. If you are moving on a rainy or snowy day, try to avoid slipping accidentally on wet floors. Also, the driveways and sidewalks should be free of mud, snow or ice.
- Gather friends and relatives to help you out. Lifting bulky items is not something that you can do on your own. Get as many volunteers as you can to help you on a day of the move.
- All people involved in piano moving should be dressed suitably. Everyone should wear comfortable clothes and appropriate footwear.
- Always have in mind proper lifting techniques and do not overestimate your abilities and physical strength. The rule of thumb, use your leg muscles, not your back to do the heavy lifting.
- Quick actions and sudden movements may result in health injuries, so make secure and slow steps while carrying your piano. Have regular breaks to catch your breath and then keep going.
Benefits of hiring professional moving assistance
Before you settle for a particular piano moving company, make sure to check their business background. Online ratings and reviews, as well as previous customers’ testimonials, are also fundamental. Contact several companies and request NYC moving estimates to get a clear idea about the price of piano moving.
Researching reputable piano movers NYC may require spending some extra money and time. However, you will at least know that your precious piano is in good hands. Luckily, our experienced piano movers NYC are properly trained to handle your precious goods. We will treat your instrument with the utmost care and make sure they reach the new place in one piece. Due to their excessive weight (up to 900 pounds) and enormous bulkiness, pianos are usually better off with professional movers. Also, no matter how sturdy they may seem, pianos are very delicate. Any damage caused by transportation can be very expensive or even irreparable.
Make sure to avoid a personal injury or causing damage to your property. That is not the outcome you would hope for while planning your big household move. Are you willing to take a chance during this transitional and overly stressful period? If not, our moving professionals will be there to help.
How we move a piano at Dumbo Moving and Storage
When hiring our piano movers NYC, you can be sure that your musical instrument is in right hands. When moving a piano, our team of experts uses various pieces of equipment. Also, we use moving supplies such as moving dollies, moving cords and different padding materials.
One of the first steps in moving a piano is securing the instrument for transportation. Our experts will wrap the instrument with furniture blankets to protect it against scratches and external damage. After this step, they will make sure to lock the lid to keep the keys safe while in transit.
At Dumbo Moving and Storage, we always make sure to wear protective clothing when moving heavy objects. Our team will wear work gloves to protect themselves during the move and to have a firm grip. Our piano movers NYC knows how to distribute the weight of the piano across the entire body. That is an essential part of every piano relocation.
Besides dollies, straps and packing materials, our moving professionals use metal ramps to carry the piano down the stairs. Also, these materials help them to load and unload it from the truck. After this part of the moving is over, our guys will safely remove and secure the piano’s legs before moving. Also, they will get the measurements before moving day to make sure it fits through doorways. After loading the piano onto the truck, secure it properly with heavy-duty furniture straps. With Dumbo Moving and Storage, your piano will be safe during the entire moving process.
After reaching your new destination, we suggest you call a professional tune the instrument. Dumbo Moving and Storage, you can be sure that your instrument will appear and sound just like it did before the moving day.
Contact Dumbo Moving and Storage and forget about relocation troubles
Whether you are moving across town or long distance, moving your home or just your piano – you know who to call. Moving experts from Dumbo Moving and Storage will make sure to handle your piano relocation in the most professional manner. Our moving company is here to handle all the preparations and loading of your instrument. Instead of worrying and getting injured, you should consider giving our piano movers NYC a call. We will make sure to offer you the best moving quote and adjust the moving service to your needs. Moving a piano has never been easier with Dumbo Moving and Storage! Contact our moving company today and secure the best treatment for your piano.