Relocating is never an easy task. That is why people often get stressed and overwhelmed. But, if local moves are stressful, what happens when you have to move internationally? You double the trouble, the stress, the time, the money… And you know you can’t do it alone. You do know? Carrying boxes down the flight of stairs isn’t really the same as having them shipped from Brooklyn to Thailand. Considering you leave in a city that never sleeps, hiring some of the international moving companies NYC is going to be fairly easy. And let us be perfectly clear – the company you hire to do your international relocation from NYC is going to make or break your move. So, let’s see what do you need to know about them, and so much more!
What is the best way to choose from different international moving companies NYC?
One thing is for sure, you are going to have a lot of choices. The Big Apple has an abundance of companies that are not afraid to branch out of the USA. But, that doesn’t mean that hiring international movers is going to be easy. The responsibility is bigger than with the regular move, and you need to take your time when making this decision. Even if your decision to move abroad was hasty, this one shouldn’t be. Let’s see what are a couple of things you should look for when choosing international moving companies NYC.
- Is the international moving company based in New York reputable and licensed – This sounds boring and time-consuming, but it is necessary. If you are partnering up with a fraudulent moving company you could lose your money and your belongings for good. Due to international laws, you might not be able to sue them, and you will be in the worst possible situation.
- Can this company offer you additional services? – When you are relocating across the borders, you don’t need just shipping services. You might need help packing, storing, getting insurance and even settling in your new home. It is better to have one company that will take care of all that.
- Always double check the moving quota – Getting a second opinion is very important in these cases. The costs of moving internationally are huge, and saving a few bucks won’t hurt you. So, do your best to get a couple of different opinions and go from there.
Which types of shipping exist?
Moving outside of United States means that there are various types of transport you could use. Using trucking services isn’t the only option anymore. Depending on your relocation you can use different transport modalities, or even combine two or three. Before you go into the process of choosing international moving companies NYC, you should know all of your options.
THE BENEFITS OF INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING BY SEA
- It’s cheaper if you have a bigger load to transport
- You can transport bulky items, and almost any type of goods, including dangerous ones
- It will save you a lot of time if your new destination is close to a port
THE BENEFITS OF INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING BY AIR
- It is, by far, the fastest method of transporting goods.
- It is the easiest way to ship goods to long distances
- The safest way to transport your goods across larger distances, borders, and oceans
THE BENEFITS OF INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING BY LAND
- Very good for international moves to Mexico and Canada
- The costs are not very high, and you can adjust routes if you are using trucks
- You can access remote places, that ships and planes can’t
Is there additional service I need?
Moving internationally isn’t as simple as you might think. Not only do you have to worry about packing, transport, and unpacking you also need to worry about customs, international laws and, in some cases, pirates. That is why you will most likely need additional service. Take a look at our list and have this in mind when you are looking for international moving companies NYC.
- INSURANCE – There are many unexpected things that can happen when your goods are being shipped so far away. There is no way to prevent all of them. The best way is to insure your properties and not having to constantly worry.
- SETTLING IN YOUR NEW PLACE – If you are moving from New Jersey to India, chances are you won’t be so familiar with the area. Your moving company can help you during the period of transition and make your relocation that much easier.
LEGALITIES – It is completely normal that you don’t know about different restrictions set by other governments when it comes to importing. You do not want to end up like Johny Depp in Australia, so ask your company what can you import and what is better to leave in the USA.
- STORAGE – From canceling your lease to set up shop across the ocean, your belongings won’t always be in transport. Make sure your company can help you rent storage spaces, both here and abroad.
What else do I need to know about international relocation?
Now that we have covered the basics, let’s see a couple of other things you should know. Well, you definitely need to think about decluttering your home before you start packing. Considering the distance and the cost, you probably won’t transport all of your belongings. Before you start looking for international moving companies NYC, you should already clear out your place. It will make the negotiations that much easier. In addition to this, you should also be very patient. This type of relocation is time-consuming and rushing things will do you no good. Find a good moving partner and enjoy your international relocation. Accept the stress, do not be governed by it, and spend your last days in New York enjoying the beauty. This will make your move that much better.