Finding the right moving company is the key factor to a successfully performed household move, which shouldn’t be underestimated, given the number of suspicious and fraudulent moving companies in NYC.
People who have never moved house would assume that relocation is a simple and straightforward process that doesn’t require a lot of pre-planning. The truth is that moving house is a challenging process whether you are moving locally or overseas, so make sure you are up to the task by planning ahead of time.
Luckily, there are different types of movers that provide wide range of services in order to make the relocation easier for you. When planning your big move, make sure you are aware of all available options so that you can understand which one meets your needs and requirements.
Local vs. long-distance movers
Local movers are usually operating within a predefined mileage radius, without crossing state lines. A move performed within 50-100 miles distance is considered a local move. While it’s mostly true that short-distance moves are much less complicated than the long-distance ones, they shouldn’t be taken lightly.
Local movers usually charge by the hour and it is highly recommended to hire a moving company that specializes in local moves so as to get more convenient deals. Although moving locally may seem straightforward to you, the truth is that it can be really nerve-wracking. Therefore, unless you have enough time to prepare everything in advance, you may consider hiring professionals who will take care of every stage of the move in a safe and efficient manner.
When moving locally people are usually concerned whether to perform the entire move on your own or to go for professional moving company’s service. DIY local moves are certainly doable if you can count on your friends and relatives who also happen to be fond of packing and heavy lifting. Also, when planning your move, you should take safety of your items into account in order to make sure they reach the final destination in one piece. Not only will your reputable local movers offer a suitable coverage to keep your items protected in case of any accidents, but also they will provide a short-term storage if necessary. Also, if you are moving to Manhattan, research top-rated local movers and request several quotes so as to be able to compare them and choose the most suitable option. Also, when asking for a moving quote, make sure it is based on an on-site estimate.
On the other hand, long-distance moves imply relocating more than 100 miles away from your current home. Hiring reputable and trustworthy movers is the best way to make sure your household possessions are transported safely across the country. It will save not only your time, but also energy and money. Although you can organize the long-distance move on your own and even drive the moving truck personally, hiring moving experts would leave you much more time to tackle other moving-related tasks and also ensure a smooth moving experience. Normally spending a lot of money is not one of the activities on your moving checklist, but after you research movers in NYC, you will realize that there can be found those that offer reasonably priced quality services. Meanwhile, beware of extremely low moving estimates usually provided by fraudulent moving companies. Whether you are moving locally or to another country, a recommendation from a friend or relative who has moved house recently can be very helpful. Fully licensed and insured company is always a good choice for your long-distance move and you should consider movers’ reputation and experience while researching them.
DIY moving vs. full service moves
If you have decided to organize the entire move on your own, take the following checklist into account:
– Start planning ahead of time – the earlier you start, the less stressful your move will be. Keep in mind that things won’t miraculously fall into place if you are just waiting for the moving day doing nothing.
– Set a convenient moving date as soon as possible.
– Gather packing supplies and pack up your entire household.
– Rent an appropriate moving truck/van that can accommodate all your items. Also, decide who is going to drive the truck.
– Purge through your items and decide what is going to be moved and what left behind. If you are downsizing, your new apartment certainly won’t accommodate all of your possessions, so decide what to do with the items that you don’t need any more.
– Take extra care of your fragile items – china, paintings, mirrors, figurines,…
– Notify all relevant people and parties that you are moving and provide them with your new contact details.
– Have the utilities transferred or set up at your new home, so that everything’s working perfectly on the day of the move.
– Don’t forget to pack an overnight bag with all the essentials you may be needing on moving day:
- clean clothes
- pet food
- small emergency kit
- personal documents and important records
– Organize your moving day team of volunteers who are willing to assist you with the heavy lifting.
On the other hand, full-service movers take the full responsibility over your household relocation. They will handle the entire move while you don’t have to lift a finger.
Full-service movers provide the following services:
- packing personal and household possessions
- dismantling large furniture pieces
- handing fragile, delicate and bulky items
- driving the moving truck
- unloading the moving truck
- unpacking and disposing of the packing material
- reassembling furniture and putting them to the right place
- doing all the hard work and heavy lifting
- providing proper insurance so your possessions are safe while in transit.
However, having professionals take care of the entire relocation means that you have very little control over the process. If you don’t mind that and also can afford the full-service movers, feel free to get in touch with several moving companies and find the most suitable one.