Normally, moving is both physically and mentally exhausting process. Even if you have enough time to prepare for the moving day eventually you will realize that moving takes a lot of effort, patience and time.
But what if you receive news that you have to move out on short notice? Unfortunately, similar situations happen more often than you think, so it’s better to be informed about them.
Job relocation, family emergency or some difficulties with a landlord may result in you having to move in a few days.
Unexpected moves are certainly doable and it is absolutely necessary to plan and organize it thoroughly from the very first day.
Moving in a short period of time step by step
– Decide whether you are going to hire professional movers or you are going to move on your own.
This decision depends on several factors like money, your availability, time,…If you can afford it, it is certainly advisable to hire professional moving company that will perform the move successfully in such a short period of time. However, finding reputable movers also takes time. If you are not moving during the peak season, you are likely to find high-quality NYC movers and also get a discount for moving services.
The same goes for the truck rental. Moving trucks are hardly available during the high season, so you may be forced to use your car as a moving vehicle. Since you are moving yourself you will need all available help, so don’t hesitate to call friends or relatives to help you out.
– Inform your landlord and utility companies.
Have you current services canceled or transferred to the new home, so that you won’t receive bills for the services you no longer use.
– Get moving supplies
Free cardboard moving boxes are usually available at the nearest grocery or drink store. You just have to ask around and find out when you can pick them up. But, being short on time, you may opt for purchasing moving boxes and containers at a local moving store. Alternatively, your friends who have moved recently may be able to provide you with moving containers or plastic bins. By renting plastic bins you will save both time and environment.
– Ask friends or relatives to help you out and assign them tasks.
– Plan packing.
Start packing the most demanding room. Some people think it is kitchen, while others think it is living room. Both rooms contain a lot of fragile items, so arm yourself with patience and get to work. Have enough packing material – packing tape, bubble wrap, markers, labels,…
– Put aside items you will be using during the week.
– Make a storage area for the items you no longer need. Afterwards you can decide how to dispose of them.
– Empty all kitchen cupboards, drawers and pantry and sort the kitchen items. Pay attention to what can’t be moved. Movers usually refuse to move perishables, so use perishable products before the moving day.
– Moving large appliances is really demanding and special moving equipment is often required. It is extremely important to pack them properly so that they can be delivered in one piece.
– Pack other rooms – the next one could be living room or bathroom.
– Living room and dining room contain a lot of delicate items like mirrors, frames, pictures, lamp shades, electronics, glassware, figurines which need special attention. Purchase a lot of bubble wrap and padding so that you can protect similar items properly and ensure they reach the new home without damage. On the other hand, items like pillows, blankets and cushions are easy to handle, since those can be transported in cardboard boxes or garbage bags.
– Bathrooms can be packed quickly. Dispose of expired medicine or empty shampoo bottles and remember – not each item you own should be moved to your new place.
– Organize your bedroom and sort content of wardrobes, drawers, shelves, nightstands. There are for sure clothes that you won’t wear any more, so don’t hesitate to donate or sell them. Last-minute moves are perfect time for quick decisions, and this is one of them. Linens and bedding shouldn’t be packed before the moving day.
– Also, do not forget to pack essentials box with all items you may need during the next few days.