Wondering how to pack a kitchen for the upcoming household move? The truth is that packing a kitchen is a challenging prospect and there might be plenty of reasons why you are considering professional packing services. If a household move is just around the corner, you should think of an efficient approach to the packing process.
It’s finally happening! And you probably can’t wait to see the entire moving project through. We all know that you are excited to start fresh at your new home.
As it turns out, the kitchen is one of the most demanding rooms with all those tiny, sharp and delicate items you need to handle one by one.
Stick to our easy-to-follow tips and tricks on how to pack a kitchen for your big household move.
– Start as early as possible. Packing in a rush and leaving everything to the last minute may result in lots of damaged items or injuries. Small and fragile kitchen items make packing and moving a kitchen a time-consuming endeavor. So, roll up your sleeves and get to work as soon as your household relocation becomes imminent.
– Sort and de-clutter before moving. There must be some items that you won’t be taking with you. Therefore, don’t bother packing items that you plan to get rid of sooner or later. The secret to a clutter-free home is a good organization and realistic assessment of your needs. Do you really need your aunt Mary’s old cutlery? As you can see, it’s all about setting priorities.
– Be very selective while going through each cupboard, drawer, shelf in your kitchen. You may be surprised by the number of unusable and unnecessary items you own. Embrace minimalism by leaving behind things that would clutter up your new place.
– Pack up the pantry, but first ask yourself one question – is the content really worth transporting? While packing up the kitchen for a move, bear in mind that sometimes packing and moving some items is more expensive than buying the new ones. Also, your movers will refuse to move perishables (among other non-allowables), so make sure to utilize or donate them before moving day. If you are moving locally, you can transport canned goods yourself.
– Use original packaging to pack your kitchen appliances safely. Original boxes provide the best protection, but chances are that you haven’t saved them. In that case, stock up on heavy duty boxes of various sizes and quality packing material (bubble wrap, packing paper, markers). If you opt for free moving boxes, make sure they are sturdy enough to withstand the weight of your kitchen electronics. Make use of cell boxes to pack a kitchen stemware.
– Tape the moving boxes inside out and reinforce the bottom with a couple of layers of packing paper. First pack the heaviest items always using bubble wrap to provide cushioning during the transport. Afterwards you can stack up smaller and lighter items on top. As you pack up the boxes, make sure there is no empty space between items. Use lots of bubble wrap and crumpled paper to fill the remaining gaps inside the moving boxes.
– Wrap crystal and glassware in packing paper separately for better protection. Consider using cell boxes to keep your glassware in one piece during the transport. If you think that purchasing those may overwhelm your moving budget, try crafting your own cell boxes.
– Pack rarely used or little needed items first, since it’s unlikely that you will need any of them any time soon while you are preparing for your big moving day. Wine glasses, crystal bowls, pie pans, cookbooks, special utensils is not something that you may need during the pre-move chaos. Packing a kitchen is not an easy process, so make sure to tackle one area at a time.
– Sort your kitchen items into three separate piles:
Needless to say, the less items you move with you, the less you will pay for relocation services. If you haven’t used certain items in the last 6-12 months, don’t move them. Also, take all broken electronics and other kitchen waste to the nearest recycling center. One should show regard for the environment even when moving house.
– Prepare all kitchen appliances by following our tips and suggestions. Stick to our preparatory steps in order to pack a kitchen in an efficient and smooth manner. If you are unsure as to how to prepare your large kitchen appliances for the move, use manuals or contact the manufacturer for more information.
– Unplug and defrost the fridge at least 24 hours before the move. Clean it thoroughly inside out and secure all removable parts.
– Clean your stove and secure all loose parts.
– Empty, clean and dry your dishwasher. Remove the utensil holder and pack it separately.
– Use packing tape to secure the cords, doors and extra nuts.
– Label each moving box according to the content. The ”fragile” sign will remind you movers and helpers that they need to pay extra attention while carrying and loading those boxes. Clearly mark each side of the boxes indicating content, destination room and handling instructions if necessary.
– If your kitchen contents include valuable and expensive items, think twice before you embark on a packing process on your own. You may want to expand your knowledge about moving insurance options in order to take extra precautions for precious items in your kitchen.
In case you are unsure as to how to pack a kitchen for a move, where to start and how to approach the issue, contact experienced and properly trained professionals to tackle this task for you. Having done thousands of moves before, they will be able to pack a kitchen along with other premises in no time and help you complete the move in a timely and efficient manner. In order to make an informed decision, get several moving quotes from different companies and check their background and business practice.
Experience the peace of mind that comes from working with a trusted, affordable moving service. Our team of dedicated movers is committed to providing excellent customer service and making sure your items arrive in the same condition they were in before the move. We work hard to ensure that your move is as stress-free as possible and that your possessions are handled with the utmost care. With our competitive prices and commitment to customer satisfaction, you can be sure that your move will be an enjoyable and successful experience.