Here at Dumbo Moving we want to provide you with the cheapest move we can. So we want you to let you know about all the extra fees that moving companies could add to the cost of your move.
– Excessive Carry Charge: If your movers can not park their moving truck in front of your building or house and they have to carry you items down the street, you could be looking at an extra charge. The longer the distance the movers have to carry your items is, the longer your move will take (and the more difficult the move becomes) and that will cause the movers to be late to other moves that day.
If your building has a service entrance than this will not be a problem, if you don’t have a service entrance to your building try reserving a space with the help of your super.
-Flights of Stairs: If your old apartment and the apartment you are moving in to (or home) have stairs there will be a fee for the flights of stairs the movers have to walk up(Which will be factored in to the price of your move when you get your quote but will be added on the day of your move if you do not mention it). However if your building has an elevator you will not be charged for how many stair cases it takes to get to your apartment.
– Assembling/Disassembling Fees: Assembling and disassembling is an extra service that is usually offered by your moving company. If you want any furniture assembled or reassembled like a book case, bunk beds, Murphy beds, or an entertainment center. So make sure to take stock of everything that needs to be disassembled or would like to be disassembled for you when you do your moving consultation so the movers will know beforehand what tools to take on their job.
– Bulky or Heavy Items: If you have any items that need special handling please make sure to inform your moving company before the day of your move. There is usually an extra fee for certain items because they are more difficult to move and protect. For example: chandeliers, pianos, or pool tables request special handling and crating.
If you don’t inform your sales representative you will not only be looking at an extra charge but you will also have a problem because the crew will not have necessary equipment and protection materials to conduct your move. So either the move will have to be done in two parts (leaving the particular item behind and moving it at another time) or the movers will have to wait for another crew to drop off the special equipment for your particular item(s). If some of these items can not fit the elevator, movers will have to take it by stairs and you will be looking at additional charge as well
– Extra services: Take a look at your contract and talk to your moving consultant to make sure you understand what is included in the price you are paying. Here at Dumbo Moving it includes: basic protection for the furniture, basic insurance, bed frame disassembling/assembling, and free rental of wardrobe boxes.
Every Moving Company has their own particular policy and make sure you review it before the day of the move. You may have to empty all the furniture (drawers, dressers, etc.), buy boxes, and pack them before your movers arrive. If you are not ready they will charge you either for waiting time until you finish it or for a packing service.
If you think you have no time to pack and unpack yourself let your moving consultant know before your move date so they know to prepare all the necessary packing material needed for your move. You will be charged for the moving materials used and for the packing service provided, if that is the case.
– Late Minute Cancellation: Moving Companies usually require a least a 4 day notice for a cancellation of the move. Towards the end of month moving companies are at their busiest and may require more days notice to avoid a cancellation fee.
To avoid a cancellation fee double check with both apartments (the apartment you are moving in to and out of) that you can reserve yo