Packing for the upcoming move is probably one of the most laborious and time-consuming tasks. Having decided to hire professional packers to give you a hand, you are probably wondering what you should do before they arrive. Although full-service movers will take care of all stages of the relocation process including arduous packing and unpacking tasks, there are activities you are supposed to complete before professional packers arrive.
Even if experts will complete their part of the job in a timely and efficient manner, you are still responsible for preparing your household for the move.
Proper organization makes moving much easier on you and your family, so hopefully you will be reading the following moving tips before the moving day arrives.
What to do before professional packers arrive
While professional packers will relieve the moving stress and tension, you won’t be able to just sit back and watch them do everything. It’s up to you to complete some pre-packing tasks.
Preparing your household for professional packers – phase 1
– Let go of useless items.
How long the packing process will take depends on the amount of your household belongings. Just do the math – the more items you decide to move with you, the higher the moving costs will be. Remember, moving quotes are based on your inventory, so make sure to downsize your belongings in order to save on your packing and relocation. After all, what’s the point in keeping and moving all those useless items that you are not going to use in the future? Some household items are just not worth the trouble – deal with it! As it turns out, people usually have trouble letting go of the sentimental clutter when moving house.
Take your time to go through each room and inspect the content of each cupboard, drawer, shelf. Chances are that you will find items that you haven’t been using for years. Set aside those things and decide whether you are going to sell them, give them away or donate them to charities.
– Get some extra packing supplies. Learn where you can obtain moving boxes for free and stock up on them in advance just in case.
Preparing your household for professional packers – phase 2
– Have an inventory list ready before your packers arrive. If some of your items go missing or get damaged throughout the process it will be easier to check off the items against the comprehensive inventory list and identify potential issues.
– Due to safety reasons the moving crew may refuse to pack items that may jeopardize the entire moving process. Just make sure to get the list of non-allowables before you start packing and act accordingly. Your movers/packers will refuse to deal with the following items:
- hazardous items
- valuables – documents, jewelry, electronic devices,…
Dispose of potentially dangerous items, use up your food supplies before the day of the move and transport the plants yourself.
– Empty, unplug and clean major household appliances: washing machine, fridge, dishwasher, microwave,… Also, drain the fuel from the fuel-powered equipment and remove batteries from electronics. Remove all bedding before professionals arrive so that they can disassemble and pack your beds in no time.
Preparing your household for professional packers – phase 3
– Mark each room so that your packers can label the boxes accordingly. Proper labeling system will save you a lot of time and energy when unloading and unpacking moving boxes at your new residence. Also, place all the items that will be traveling with you in one specific room and let your packers know that.
– Pack your overnight bag with clothing, toiletries, medication and other essentials you may be needing during the first couple of days until you unpack all your belongings at the new home.
– Although professional packers and movers will handle your possessions with the utmost care, consider purchasing additional moving insurance for items that have high monetary and sentimental value. Your moving crew may advise you on the most suitable type of coverage for your precious belongings.
– Be a thoughtful host. Keep your packers energized and hydrated. Prepare some snacks and drinks and tip your packers and movers if they have provided an extraordinary service.
How to handle children and pets when expecting packers?
– Arrange for a friend or relative to take care of your children while professional packers are operating through your home. Try to maintain their routine undisturbed somewhere else, away from the packing hustle and bustle. If that’s not an option, plan their activities in advance so as to keep them entertained and out of the packers’ way.
– Consider confining your pets to the safe area or enlist a neighbor or friends to look after your furry friend. Take all necessary steps to protect your pets on moving day and allow your packers to do their job without potential obstacles and distractions.
Using professional packing services- yes or no?
Hiring professional packers brings along a lot of benefits, but let’s shed some light on potential disadvantages.
Depending on the amount of your belongings, the cost of packing services can go up to several thousand dollars. Hiring full-service movers is a pricey affair which pays off eventually given all the benefits. An increased cost of packing services is the main reason why people choose to pack up their household themselves instead of getting professional assistance.
Also, no matter how trained and experienced packers are, you may not have the same ideas on how to sort and pack your belongings. If you are not comfortable letting them take control of the major part of the process, then hiring professional packers might not be a suitable option for you. Also, if you are reluctant to let a group of strangers sort through your possessions, online reviews as well as personal recommendation from friends and relatives can go a long way towards hiring a reputable and trustworthy company.