Taking care of yourself should be a top priority when moving house. Other than dealing with all household items and moving tasks, bare in mind that you have to stay healthy and energetic all along. Lack of regular meals associated with a lot of stress generated during the moving process may lead to some serious health issues, so do not underestimate the importance of a good, nutritious meal when you are undergoing a move.
Tips for staying healthy in transition
Some of the following tips may help you stay healthy and ensure your well-being throughout the move.
– Have a routine medical check up before the moving day. You may need to get all necessary prescriptions from your doctor as well. Long-distance moves are very demanding, so make sure to check your and your family’s medical condition before the moving day.
– Keep stress at bay. Moving house is an imminent change in your life, but it doesn’t have to be followed by a lot of stress and frustration. Everyone has his own way to cope with stressful situations when moving house, but one general advice, a good starting point is to be well-organized. No matter how difficult the move may seem in the beginning, you can handle it with an efficient plan and strategy. So, keep calm and start planning early. Take your time to plan the move step by step without any rush if possible.
– Moving itself is overwhelming, so try to stick to some activities that will cheer you up and help you relax. Watch your favorite movie, go out with friends, prepare some delicious meals so that the whole family can enjoy or eat out and have fun. Take some time to de-stress and regain your energy.
– Pack first-aid kit and keep it on hand on the moving day. It should contain bandages, medicines (pain relievers, antibiotics, antihistamines,…). Hopefully you won’t be needing any of that, but keep the kit with you all along just in case.
– Eat nutritious meals regularly so as to stay healthy and energetic. While on the road, you might have limited dining options. Although you are often forced to eat out in restaurants, you can have delicious fruit or vegetable salad instead of some fast food products. Also, have always supplies of healthy snacks on the road.
– Stay hydrated on the road. Whether you are travelling by airplane or by car have water bottles on hand any time. Caffeinated drinks and alcohol should be avoided due to the dehydrating effect.
– You don’t have to do everything on your own, so don’t hesitate to ask for help. Hire NYC moving company to help you with packing and relocation, ask friends, family members to help you load/unload the truck, hire a babysitter to look after your kids while you are handling other moving issues. Furthermore, you are not supposed to do everything in a couple of days. Plan your move step by step and be aware that rush decision may lead to a major problem.
– Pay attention to lifting techniques – know your limits and act accordingly so as to avoid injuries on the moving day. Carrying household items, heavy lifting, loading, unloading are physically challenging tasks and you have to pay attention to your movements in order to avoid any serious injuries. Lift the boxes using the entire lower body.
– Wear comfortable clothes and shoes that won’t restrict your movements.
– Think about your and your helpers’ health and offer snacks and non-alcoholic drinks regularly.
A few precautions and planning ahead will ensure a successful outcome of the move. When you reach your new home healthy, you will be eager to settle in and arrange your new home. Those tasks require a lot of effort and time, so save your energy and take a good care of yourself during the move.