Moving is both physically and emotionally demanding affair, so everyone involved should be very cautious during the move. Make sure that your house is safety-proofed, even if you are hiring professional movers.
– In case of any sort of injuries, the first aid kit should be close at hand any time. Prepare band aid, bandage, cotton, painkiller tablets and other medications you might need during the relocation process.
– Additionally, wear proper, comfortable clothes and footwear on the moving day. Sneakers are always preferable to slippers, sandals or any other inappropriate shoes.
– If any emergency comes up, have your mobile phone within reach in order to call for help.
– While packing, remember that someone (you or your movers) has to carry the boxes up and down the stairs, load and unload the truck. So, don’t overload them! If you can barely lift them without too much effort, that’s a sign that you should stop. Avoid filling large boxes completely, because it will be difficult to move them. Instead of one large box, use several small or medium sized ones. Your movers will appreciate the gesture.
– Use a separate box for packing hazardous materials and don’t mix dangerous chemicals with other items. Flammable, explosive or corrosive substances are dangerous to move, so find out how to pack and storage those materials properly. In most cases movers are not allowed to transport those materials, so you will have to move them on your own.
– Get moving supplies and equipment in order to make moving process easier. A dolly could be very useful for carrying heavy boxes from the house to the truck. And you can secure all of your boxes by using straps.
– Check your new property before the moving day in order to identify possible dangerous spots. See if there are some obstacles for your movers and remove them or mark them. Your movers are not familiar with your new property, so make sure to mark all ”problematic” areas and inform your movers in advance about them.
– Movers often refuse to transport valuables like jewelry, antiques, money, financial statements, computers etc, so you will have to arrange the transport on your own.
– Label all of the boxes, especially those which require special care and treatment.
– If you cannot handle packing of some items, place them in the middle of the room and wait for the movers to pack them safely.
– Arrange your movers so that everyone of them has his own role.
– Make sure to gather enough people to help, especially in case you are performing the move on your own.
– Keep your children away on moving day. Prevent them from interfering when the movers arrive so that they can do their job properly. The best way to keep them out of the way is to ask your friends or neighbors to take care of them during the move. For that purpose you can even hire a babysitter. Keeping them away from the house is the best way to keep them safe actually.
The same goes for the pets. Being unfriendly toward the movers, your pet can be a real obstacle, so ask your neighbor to take care of it until you move to the new home. Both your children and your pets require your attention, which you cannot actually share on moving day. In order to avoid any dangerous situations, ask someone to look after them.
– Stay hydrated all the time. Before moving prepare enough water and food, so that you can offer a snack to your movers. Everyone could use a refreshment, because moving is very demanding and exhausting process.
– Remember to sleep enough and don’t neglect your health.