There’s no doubt that the first couple of weeks in your new NYC home will be strange. Tons of moving boxes, uninstalled appliances, bare walls and windows may seem discouraging at some point.
While you probably can’t wait to turn this unfamiliar place into a comfortable one, settling into a new home takes time and patience.
– Take a deep breath and get your mind off the move. Luckily, the hardest part of the transition to your NYC home is over. After weeks of hectic moving schedules and stressful events you’ve finally reached your new place. Now it is time to embrace a slower pace and take one step at a time when arranging your new home. Things will slowly fall into place, just arm yourself with a lot of patience.
– Make unpacking your priority. Living among unpacked boxes can be really frustrating and it makes it even more difficult to focus on anything other than unpacking. With dozens of boxes in every room you must be wondering when you will finally settle into your new home for good.
While you are eager to sort everything out and remove cardboard boxes, you don’t have to unpack everything the first day. It’s always a good idea to focus on your children’s room first in order to put them at ease. Re-establishing a day-to-day routine and sense of security can reduce negative effects of the move on your children. A household move affects children and pets, so get back to their day-to-day routine so as to ease the transition.
– Clean before you start unpacking. Chances are that the landlord or previous homeowners or tenants have cleaned the place, but it won’t hurt to give your new space a good cleaning before you start unpacking.
Tips for settling into your NYC home
There are lots of innovative and exciting ways to create a cozy and happy home. Adding a homey touch can give you a whole new perspective on your NYC home. It’s a good news that you can create a cozy and comfortable home without spending a fortune.
These cheap and simple tricks will help you add a welcoming atmosphere to an unfamiliar place. Your home should reflect your personality and your unique style, so build its charm and character as soon as possible.
– Set up the kitchen and recall the sweet memory of family dinners and gatherings at your previous home. Instead of ordering pizza or eating out, prepare a homemade meal and enjoy it with your loved ones.
– If arranged properly, comfortable and stylish pieces of furniture can enhance a welcoming atmosphere in your new NYC home. Combining different styles and pairing mismatched items together may generate an amazing sense of coziness in your new home.
– Make good use of multiple sources of lighting. Candles may add some instant charm and soft glow which is especially convenient when having visitors.
– Make the most of warm colors. It’s no secret that they can make large rooms feel cozier and if mixed with neutral colors, they can add a stimulative and energizing touch to your new home. Now is the best time to experiment with different colors and personalize your new home the way you’ve always wanted.
How to personalize your new NYC home
– Add a layer of texture into your new place. Incorporate different textures and materials that may provide the sense of warmth and coziness as well as lend atmosphere. Although you are moving to a brand new apartment, allow yourself to mix styles. Eventually you may realize that the vintage rug from the antique store fits perfectly your home décor. Also, find suitable window treatments that will add a stylish touch to your interior.
– Keep your entryway tidy since this is the first thing your visitors will notice. Make use of some creative and functional ways to organize your entryway after the move. This high-traffic area tends to accumulate items quickly, so tackle your entryway as soon as you move into a new home. Get a shoe rack that can accommodate your family’s and visitors’ footwear. Also, install some hooks and add boxes and baskets so that you can drop your small items in one place.
– Give a fresh look to your front door if painting the exterior is too overwhelming for your budget.
– Surround yourself with your personal accessories. Photos, collectibles, favorite paintings come with special memories so find the way to incorporate them in the design of your new home.
– Fresh flowers and plants may enliven the entire place and make it feel comfortable and welcoming.
Hosting a housewarming party after a move
While giving our ideas a try, don’t forget to enjoy your new surroundings. The adjustment process depends on your ability to connect with your new neighbors and co-workers. Now that you have arranged your new place to your liking, it’s time for showing off.
The relocation has turned out perfectly – is there a better reason to celebrate a new beginning with your friends and neighbors? Everyone’s looking forward to unwinding and relaxing after a tiresome moving experience. An informal get-together will be a joyful distraction from all the post-relocation tasks ahead of you.
Furthermore, it’s an easy way to get to know your neighbors and co-workers and make new friends after the move. Housewarming parties are usually casual events so don’t bother taking out the most expensive glassware and dishes. Give your visitors a tour through your NYC home and tell them about your future plans. You may come up with some great ideas together.
If you don’t feel like unpacking everything immediately after the move, that’s all right. Regardless of whether you have hired professional NYC movers, relocating to a new place is a demanding endeavor. Take some time to unwind and treat yourself after an overwhelming household move. Maybe a casual get-together with your friends is what you need at this point.