Moving is rarely as simple as we would like it to be and until you get settled into your new home you will probably be overwhelmed with all moving-related tasks awaiting to be completed. After you arrange your new place and make it feel like home, you will need to get acquainted with your new surroundings and make some new friends.
Being new to the city, you will normally feel a little disoriented and confused, but after you get to know your neighborhood and find the closest grocery store, park, restaurants and other places of interest you will feel more at ease.
Luckily, nowadays you are able to get to know your new city even before you move and find out as many details as you want in advance, but a face-to-face contact and interaction with your new neighbors will be beneficial for a quicker adjustment to the new city. People are usually polite and friendly to newcomers and some of them may become your good friends at some point. But, this won’t happen if you just sit at home doing nothing and avoid personal interaction. So, by engaging yourself in some local events or getting involved with community services you are likely to meet people with similar interests.
You are likely to experience an emotional rollercoaster when moving to a new city, so don’t be surprised if you go through some of the following emotional stages, which will be intensified if you are moving abroad. Moving to a new state is an exhilarating experience that involves a lot of mixed feelings. Changing jobs, routine and living conditions may lead to a culture shock, which is a predictable outcome of a cross-country move.
People seem to have similar emotional responses when it comes to moving long-distance:
Moving house is an emotionally challenging event and regardless of the reason for your long-distance move, you should be prepared and focused on positive aspects that could result from your moving adventure. Your optimistic attitude will help you overcome the moving stress and adjust to the new environment quickly and effortlessly. Just give yourself enough time to adapt to the new environment and process the changes you have been subjected to.
Proper organization is the key to a successful household move. When packing up your entire household, you will want to have some essentials packed separately and keep them handy during the first day in your new house. Not being able to find your kids’ favorite blanket or pajamas and hunting through moving boxes looking for clean towels may stress you out even more.
Essentials are all you need the first day in your new house, and hopefully the following moving guidelines will help you manage the stress of the first day in your new place.
– Pack at least two sets of clean clothes for each family member. You never know how long it will take for you to unpack and arrange all your possessions once you move into your new home. Tearing the house apart trying to find clean socks can be avoided with some planning ahead.
– Have your bedding on hand for a comfortable first night in your new house.
– Toiletries (soap, shampoo, toilet paper, toothpaste, toothbrush), clean towels and medications are indispensable for the first day in your new home.
– Prepare plastic plates/cutlery and some snacks in case someone gets hungry or local takeaway menu. Also, you may be needing some coffee, milk or tea to start properly a new day in your new house.
– Cleaning supplies will come in handy if you want to give your new home a quick clean up before you start unpacking. Even if the previous tenants or owners have left the house impeccable, you should have your cleaning supplies easily accessible on moving day just in case.
– A box containing kids’ essentials should be prepared in advance so as to make sure your kids are kept busy and entertained while you are unpacking and organizing your new place.
– Additional personal items – chargers for mobile phones/laptops/tablets will help you stay in touch with your NYC movers on the day of the move as well as with your friends and relatives from your former city.
Once you reach your new home and unload moving boxes you will be happy knowing that the most difficult part of the relocation process is finally over. However, you still have a long way to go until you completely settle into your new home and relax.
– Implement proper security features as soon as you move in. Have the locks changed and smoke/carbon monoxide detectors installed. If you are renting the property, make sure to consult with your landlord and check if you are allowed to make those changes.
– Check if all appliances are working properly. If some of the items were damaged during the transport, make sure you notify your movers about the inconvenience.
– Treat yourself with a nice meal and take your time to relax after a long moving day. If you want to avoid cooking and unpacking dishes, utensils and other kitchen items, consider eating out or ordering some food and watching a nice movie with your loved ones.
– Introduce yourself to your neighbors and explore the new surroundings. Take a tour through your new neighborhood and find out where the nearest grocery stores, restaurants, bars, pharmacies are located and make yourself comfortable in your new environment. Give yourself enough time to settle into your new home and adjust to the change that you are going through.
– If your kids are struggling to adapt, try to be supportive and get back into routine as soon as possible. Consistency and security will make your kids feel more settled after the move. Help them stay in touch with the friends from the former city and maintain a long-distance relationship.
Experience the peace of mind that comes from working with a trusted, affordable moving service. Our team of dedicated movers is committed to providing excellent customer service and making sure your items arrive in the same condition they were in before the move. We work hard to ensure that your move is as stress-free as possible and that your possessions are handled with the utmost care. With our competitive prices and commitment to customer satisfaction, you can be sure that your move will be an enjoyable and successful experience.