Relocating to a new city for love is a decision of huge magnitude that will affect your life on so many different levels. For some reason the idea of a long-distance relationship doesn’t work anymore, so you are willing to explore other options. You are ready to take the next step and share a living space with your sweetheart. At this point your primary motivation is love and there’s nothing holding you back.
But, wait a minute…Doesn’t it mean that you need to pack up your belongings, leave behind everything you know and move across the country in the name of love? Uprooting your life elsewhere and relocating to a new city is a huge undertaking, so make sure the two of you are on the same page in terms of your plans and intentions.
What is supposed to be the dreamiest time in a relationship can easily turn into an epic disaster if you haven’t talked the matter through.
Take a step back by going through some of the most essential questions and make sure to discuss your concerns with your partner. Talk about your expectations and try to work out a compromise. As it turns out, a lapse in communication is not a good way to start life together. No matter how comfortable you are together, moving in with a partner is a whole new experience.
Take a look at your relationship. Are the same issues and argument coming up? Do you have a sense of what it’s like to spend more than a couple of days with your significant other without driving each other crazy? Is moving in together related to finances exclusively? Have you ever discussed about your deal-breakers? Before you move to a new city to reunite with your partner make sure to get all necessary answers.
What are the pros and cons of moving for love?
While moving across state to be with your loved one sounds super romantic, there are a lot of pragmatic issues to be mindful of. In spite of the new set of difficulties that relocating to a new city may pose, it’s a healthy decision that may help your relationship flourish. Although stepping out of a comfort zone is never easy, it may actually result in some great accomplishments.
The fact that you hardly get to see each other and spend some quality time has become even more annoying. As a result, you’ve come to realize that it’s time to take your relationship to the next level. It’s no secret that moving for love to a new city is a choice with personal, emotional and professional implications. So, let’s take a look at some advantages and disadvantages of embarking on an intense interstate move for love.
(Un)expected advantages and disadvantages when moving for love
– Spending more quality time with less effort is one of the biggest perks of living together. No more long-distance or time zone differences!
-Your brave decision is a practical step towards the future the two of you are aspiring to. You are willing to endure this radical change for the sake of your love.
– When faced with a totally new culture, you’ll get to learn a lot about yourself. As challenging as it is, leaving your comfort zone forces you to push your boundaries and test your limits. The truth is that it won’t be all fairies and gold dust, so instead of relying on other people, you will build the trust within yourself.
– You’ll get to know a whole other side of your partner that you may (or may not) like. Regardless of the outcome, moving in together is a revealing and blessing experiences.
– On the other hand, there are some obvious downsides of moving for love across the world. You will be relying completely on your partner during the first couple of weeks or months until you find your way around.
– At some point you may even feel like you don’t fit into the foreign culture. Moving to a totally different culture involves a challenging period of adaptation. Going through all the stages of culture shock is also one of the expected reactions when immersing yourself in a new culture.
– You might be struggling to find a job in your field. After being confronted with a complete change of scenery, take your time to figure out how to get by in a new environment. Know what your priorities are and act accordingly.
What to consider when planning to move across the world for love?
Moving for love can be a fulfilling experience, but having at least a short-term plan never hurts. Here are some important pointers to consider before making the big leap.
- Are there viable career opportunities?
- Can you afford the move?
- Are you ready to test your limits and challenge yourself?
- Have you discussed a long-term future with your partner?
- Do you have his/her full support?
- Do you have a back-up plan in place?
- Is moving for love worth it?
Ideally you will be able to find your new job prior to moving day and take the stress off your blooming relationship. Not only will you be able to resume your work routine as soon as you move, but also your employer may offer to cover a part of the relocation costs.
However, if you can’t seem to find a job after moving, consider volunteer opportunities in order to meet new people and make contacts. Remember that the quality of your relationship depends on how you feel about yourself. Therefore, indulge yourself by doing whatever makes you feel comfortable and happy. The sooner you feel accepted into the new social group, the smoother the transition will be for both of you.
As it turns out, a positive attitude and an open communication with your partner will help you reach both personal and professional fulfillment after moving to a new city.