Everyone who has moved house at least once knows that time is one of the most significant factors for a successful move. Since every single relocating stage requires plenty of time and effort, it may be tempting to think that you are fighting the losing battle. While it could be challenging to stay time-efficient while preparing for a big day, it’s far from impossible. Let’s take a look at some of the most common time-saving moving tips that could make your life easier while transitioning to a new home. As it turns out, an early start will help you get ready in time and organize a seamless relocation process. Do not underestimate the time needed to get everything in order before moving day.
With a customized moving timeline you can keep your pre-move stage tasks under control without losing your mind. To be honest, moving house cannot be completely stress-free, but plenty of inconveniences can be easily avoided. People with no previous experience may take advantage of our proven time-saving moving tips that will keep them on the right track with their duties and responsibilities.
Where to start is probably the most overwhelming concern that may hit you immediately after you decide to move. While pushing the panic button could be tempting, choose to stay calm and optimistic right from the start.
Creating a moving timeline
Starting well in advance is crucial, but only if you are consistently sticking to your moving timeline. Not only will you have to make a list of all moving-related tasks, but also you should define the time-frame required for their completion. It might seem unnecessary for you to note down every activity that needs to be accomplished, but by doing this you will avoid the last-minute moving rush.
A week-by-week moving checklist could be very helpful as a reminder of your daily tasks. It’s hard to memorize every single one, so stick to the schedule and once the task is completed, remove it or check it off.
By optimizing the time leading up to moving day you will keep troubles at bay during the hectic preparatory period. Ideally, you will be able to start 2 months in advance and go about each task without unnecessary pressure. Put together a printable moving checklist as soon as your move becomes imminent to get a solid idea of how much effort you need to invest in the upcoming moving project.
Falling behind schedule will most definitely generate unnecessary stress that you will want to avoid by all means. How you prioritize your tasks and manage your time will be essential for the success of the relocation process. So, if you have the chance to plan out your move far in advance, you should take full advantage of our time-saving moving tips.
Pare down your belongings
As it turns out, the most efficient packing and moving strategies and time-saving moving tips start with decluttering.
Before you even consider packing, get rid of all unused or unnecessary items by donating them to charity, organizing garage sale or recycling them. Throwing away unwanted goods may seem like the most appealing option, but think twice and opt for an eco-friendly move if possible. There are probably a lot of items that haven’t been used recently, so is there any chance that you will use them in your new home? Just be realistic and give away everything you don’t need anymore.
Get rid of unnecessary items so that you don’t waste time on moving something you won’t use in the future. Moving can be really expensive too, so why wouldn’t you save some money along the way? Old, unwanted and unnecessary items are just a burden you should shake off. Sort out your belongings and be ruthless while deciding what to take to a new home. Opting for a minimalist lifestyle proves to be much healthier than just relocating the contents of your home without decluttering. Make an inventory list of the items you are moving with you. Let your new, clutter-free life begin as soon as you move into a new home.
Decide who will help you move
Do yourself a favor and research professional moving services. Whether you are moving to another state or just a couple of blocks away, professional movers can make all the difference. While starting afresh somewhere else is an exciting prospect, moving house on your own is anything but. So, if you couple up with good movers, your relocation process is likely to become a success.
Needless to say, the moving experts have the necessary know-how to complete each move in a safe and efficient manner. They will do their part of the job leaving you more time to focus on other important tasks that require your attention. More importantly, you can completely rely on them when it comes to packing and unpacking services NYC.
If you want to save your time and energy, then hire a professional moving company. Since this can be a tricky affair, make sure to research moving companies in advance in order to pick one that suits you best. One of the most important factors that could affect your decision is the rate. Request a moving cost estimate in writing from several moving companies and compare their offers. An extremely affordable estimate and more than convenient conditions may be a sign that you are actually dealing with a rogue moving company.
In order to avoid such risky situations check with FMCSA every company, you are interested in. Use all online resources to find out as many details as you can about your movers. A quality moving company will stand out, and so will the bad ones. People usually share both positive and negative experiences online and this can be one of the most important time-saving moving tips for making the correct decision.
Bonus time-saving moving tips
– Before you start packing, get all packing supplies such as:
- moving boxes NYC of different sizes
- Bubble wrap
- Packing paper
– Mark and color your boxes so that movers know exactly where to place each one of them. In order to make their job easier and get the move done as soon as possible, draw a floor plan of your new home as well.
– If you cannot handle packing on your own, bear in mind that your Dumbo NYC movers provide that service as well and it comes at an additional charge. However, your movers can give you all relevant information and instructions you need about packing, unpacking, handling fragile items… At the end of the day, your movers’ efficiency depends on how you have completed your part of the job.
– Be informed about the items movers are not allowed to transport – plants, flammable, corrosive, explosive items and organize the transport on your own. Ideally, you will be able to dispose of them prior to moving day.
– Unless you want to hire a full-service moving company, gather friends, relatives or neighbors that are willing to help. Do that in advance, so that everyone can arrange to be available on the day of the move.
– Before moving day comes, make sure to confirm once again your movers’ arrival and to provide correct contact details and address. Furthermore, on moving day you should be in touch with your movers in case of any delays.
– Prepare all your appliances for the move by unplugging them. In case you can’t handle the packing of some items place them in the middle of the room so that movers can have an easy access to them.
Pay attention to the following time-saving tips
Your role is crucial during the pre-move stage. If you fail to complete any of the tasks from the list, you are likely to experience unpleasant delays. So, be consistent while doing your part of the job. There’s a lot at stake and certain risks and inconveniences can be certainly avoided. Here you can find some extra time-saving tips that could make your life easier.
– In order to reduce the amount of waste use the supplies you already own like suitcases, plastic boxes, towels, linens or blankets for protecting fragile items.
– Prepare an overnight bag with personal documents, money, snacks, toiletries, clean clothes, kids’ toys.
– Clean your new house before moving day if you have the possibility to visit it. It’s easier to do that while the house is still empty.
– Change your address prior to moving day and notify every interested party – your employer, your kids’ school, post office, delivery services, weekly subscriptions…
– Disconnect internet, cable and phone services and have them installed at your new home.
– Your children and pets shouldn’t be at home when the movers arrive, so ask a friend or neighbor to look after them. Make their safety your top priority. Also, pets are likely to become rather confused and irritated in your movers’ presence. Therefore, confine them to a room where they will be safe while the movers are doing their job.
What to do after the move
It might take a while for you to resume your normal routine after the move. After the last box is unloaded, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that your residential move has finally reached its final stage. However, you shouldn’t just sit back and relax as there are a couple of urgent post-move tasks you should tackle at your earliest convenience. First off, inspect the delivered items to make sure nothing’s broken or missing. Ideally, there will be no issues, but even if they occur, make sure to report the problem immediately to your movers. Apply our time-saving moving tips even when unpacking and settling into a new home.
Having inspected your items, make sure to unpack your essentials you will need during the day. Your kids and pets will need your immediate attention, so prepare their food and favorite items. Set up major appliances to make your kitchen fully functional as soon as possible. Celebrate a successful move with your loved ones by making a tasty homemade dinner.