Moving is both emotionally and physically challenging task. Anyone who has moved house knows how tiring moving can be. A physical injury is almost certain outcome if you don’t pay close attention to your movements. So, it is absolutely important to be informed of how to prevent possible injuries throughout the move.
How to stay safe during the move?
By following these guidelines you can ensure peace of mind during the move.
– A good organization and moving strategy will ensure a safe move, so plan each step ahead in order to prevent any accidental injury. When packing, take into account possible accessibility issues both at your previous home and at the new one.
– Don’t over pack moving boxes. It’s not necessary to measure each one, just make sure you can lift them without any difficulty. A box shouldn’t exceed the limit of 50 pounds. And remember – do not bend over the boxes. Keep your back straight and use your entire lower body to lift the box. Knowing proper lifting techniques will reduce possibility of getting injured during the moving process, so: take small steps and walk slowly while carrying a huge item, don’t lift heavy boxes over your head, don’t turn with your hips, but with your feet, carry the boxes close to your body, not on your shoulders or head, carry no more than one box at a time,…
– Get proper moving equipment. Easily manageable tools will help you move heavy items almost effortlessly. A few dollies and straps will save your back strain and move heavy items. A dolly is known for its efficiency in terms of moving bulky household items.
– Inspect the area around your current and new home so as to identify some possible dangerous spots. Make sure the steps are visible for those who are not familiar with the property. Also, if your entrance is likely to become slippery, buy traction mat. Clear the moving paths by removing possible obstacles. Find the closest available spot where the truck will park and reserve it before the moving day, if necessary.
– Get some help. Packing, unpacking, cleaning, loading, unloading, carrying heavy boxes are some of the tasks meant to be done by the team not by one person. If you are performing DIY move, friends and family members can provide both physical and emotional help. On the other hand, if you choose professional assistance provided by experienced movers you can rest assured that your belongings will be handled carefully. Reputable NYC movers stick to every safety procedure and do their best to keep accidents at bay.
– Keep your kids and pets away from your or movers’ way. Have some of the friends or relatives look after them, because having them around the movers carrying heavy boxes can be really dangerous. Knowing that your little ones are safe away from the boxes and moving equipment you can get back to fulfilling your moving tasks smoothly.
– Wear suitable clothing. The moving day is usually very exhausting so make sure you wear comfortable clothes. Your clothes mustn’t restrict your movements, so wear flexible materials. Bare in mind that your clothing is likely to get ruined during the moving process, so put on something old. Also, wear comfortable, durable pair of shoes – sport shoes seem like a good choice.
In order to ensure a smooth move, take good care of your belongings, pack them properly so as to avoid any damage. Use a lot of protective material, padding, bubble wrap and choose wisely who you will entrust your items. Also, think about your and every helper’s health during the move – prepare snacks and non-alcoholic drinks for everyone. If you eventually realize that moving on your own can easily become risky, hire professional moving company and ensure your peace of mind while your items are being moved from one place to another.