Packing and moving the living room is a more demanding task than expected due to numerous tiny and fragile items that need to be properly packed and moved. There are also electronics that require special attention. By following these simple guidelines, you can pack and move your living room efficiently.
Before making a packing plan, make sure to keep it simple. Sort and select the items you will need at your new home. This rule is applicable to any moving situation, whether you are moving your bedroom, bathroom or kitchen. Not each item you own needs to be transported, so decide what should be moved or donated/sold.
Prepare for moving the living room
In order to get your home ready for the moving day, calling a moving company will not be your only task. Moreover, one of the most important things you should do before moving the living room is to get your belongings ready. Make sure to do it by following the next three steps.
Living rooms are usually the most cluttered rooms in our homes. Although this shouldn’t be the case, we often put too many items on shelves, behind the sofa bed or elsewhere. If you have a large living room to move, you should declutter it for sure. Start by going through corners and catching some lost or broken items. If you don’t find them – good for you. In this case, you can start cleaning and sorting out the items you keep in this room.
Clean the living room
It doesn’t seem logical, right? If you are wondering why should you clean before moving the living room, the answer is simple. All the dust and dirt shouldn’t be a part of the packing process, and you should avoid spreading it into your new home. The cleaner your living room is, the easier it will be to pack and move it.
Sort out the inventory
Depending on the size of the room, you might want to sort out your belongings and put them into piles. For example, decide which items you’ll move for sure, and which ones you won’t be using anymore. When moving the living room, you should keep in mind that some of the furniture pieces might not fit into your new home. This is why you should know the measurements of your new living room before moving. Also, it will help you decide which furniture pieces to pack and move.
Prepare packing supplies
After you decide which items you want to move to your new home, it’s time to get the right packing supplies. Since moving the living room implies packing items of different shapes and sizes, you should consider getting quality moving boxes New York. Besides the boxes, here are some of the packing supplies you will need:
- Wrapping paper. You will probably use it mostly for packing small decorations, photo frames and other sensitive items.
- Packing tape. This packing supply is very versatile. You can use it to secure furniture pieces after disassembling or to tape the moving boxes after packing.
- Bubble paper and packing peanuts. When moving the living room, you will need these supplies to minimize the movement of sensitive items during transportation.
Packing and moving electronics
When moving the living room, you must pay special attention to packing sensitive items like electronics. Here are some ways you can do it:
- Pack electronics in the original boxes (if possible). It would be ideal to pack the electronics in the original packaging, but if you didn’t save them, your NYC movers can provide you with specialty electronics boxes or simple sturdy, double-walled boxes. Electronics should be properly packed and secured with twist-ties, packing tape…
- Consult the manuals you have received with each device.
- Unplug and clean all electronics, then remove the dust. Secure the cables properly with the twist ties.
- Avoid using packing material that will conduct electricity. Antistatic packing bubbles and popcorn are the safest packing material for electronics.
- Line the bottom of the moving boxes with antistatic bubble wrap. Seal the boxes with packing tape and label them properly.
- When packing a TV, use blankets and padding to protect it. All additional devices should be packed with it.
- Sensitive items like CDs or software shouldn’t be exposed to high temperatures. Your movers will certainly be able to assist you with packing and securing similar items.
Packing and moving the living room – paintings and mirrors
People usually hesitate packing fragile and valuable items like mirrors, frames and paintings and they are more comfortable with hiring professional movers to take care of this task. Either way, have suitable packing supplies on hand: blank newsprint, picture boxes, bubble wrap, packing tape, labels, markers and others. Make sure to wrap the picture in the bubble wrap. Next, you should put the picture or mirror in a box that is slightly bigger. In the end, label the box properly indicating the location in your new house.
Packing and moving fragile items and furniture
Packing fragile items
As soon as you pack breakable items, you can operate smoothly through your living room. Use a lot of packing material when you are packing figurines, souvenir, photo frames, lamps, statuettes and other.
- Go through each drawer and shelf and make sure every item is taken care of.
- Wrap each item in the bubble wrap and put the lawyer of packaging peanuts on the bottom of the boxes.
- First pack the items you won’t need until you reach your new home.
- Label each box so that you can easily identify their content and put them in the right place.
Packing and moving furniture
Some pieces of furniture are very difficult to handle, so it is recommended to hire qualified professional movers. They will make sure your piano or king-size bed is delivered without any damage.
If you need to move musical instruments, like a piano, make sure to hire professional help. Some moving companies have more experience in moving pianos than others, so make sure you make the right choice.
Whether you plan to disassemble furniture pieces or not, pieces with drawers or doors should be properly secured so that they don’t open during the transport. Also, make sure to protect the corners with the packing material your movers can provide you with.
Packing and moving books
- Pack the books of the same size together.
- Use small cardboard boxes and make sure they can be handled easily because books are very heavy. Place the books flat into the box and try not to overpack the boxes.
- If some books have certain sentimental value for you, wrap them separately in advance.
When packing and moving curtains, there are several ways of packing them. You can either fold and pack them in cardboard boxes lined with a plastic wrap or hang the curtains over the crossbar in a wardrobe box.
Make sure to contact reliable movers
After you pack and prepare for moving the living room, you should get online and find the best moving company for your relocation. If you are moving long distance, keep in mind that you’ll need experienced and reliable movers which will guarantee your inventory’s safety. During long distance transportation, there are many things that could complicate. In order to avoid moving problems and damage to your belongings, make sure to hire long distance movers NYC. With the right moving assistance, moving the living room can go easy and without any stress.