The term peak season in the moving industry usually refers to the busiest period of the year – late spring and summertime. People usually wait for favorable weather conditions to move house, college students are moving before the new school year begins, families with children find this period convenient for moving since children are on break from school. The fact is that most people feel more comfortable moving during summertime than during winter, which has its advantages and disadvantages. Good weather conditions promise safe, comfortable and efficient transfer. Also, real estate market starts to bloom in late spring, so it is a good opportunity for you to sell your old property and purchase the new one.
High demand during summertime makes finding reputable movers or moving truck a bit more complicated. Furthermore, setting a preferred moving date can be really problematic, especially during the months of July and August.
Tips for a high season move
If you decide to move during summertime, you are likely to face certain limitations regarding moving dates and movers’ availability due to tight schedules. Those who are at liberty to choose the moving date according to their preferences usually opt for moving during the off-peak season (between September and May). On the other hand, if you are forced by circumstances to move in peak season stick to the following tips:
– Planning well in advance will allow you to hire high quality movers and get some convenient conditions for the move. Organize your move ahead by making an efficient moving checklist and act accordingly.
– In order to have your household belongings delivered efficiently to your new address you will have to hire reputable and experienced movers. Otherwise, you risk dealing with temporary movers and old, inefficient equipment, which could lead to numerous inconveniences and problems. When looking for movers in a high season you are likely to encounter rogue movers as well. Although their services seem more than affordable, don’t be misled by an appealing offer they provide. Check legitimacy of moving companies you are interested in. Otherwise, you could easily become victim of a fraudulent moving company that will disappear with your things or keep them hostage.
– Moving services are typically more expensive during the peak season, so set you moving budget carefully and include some possible hidden moving costs that may appear throughout the moving process. The amount of household items to move adds up to the overall moving costs, so try to cut down moving expenses if possible. Some items are not worth moving, so consider decluttering before the moving day. Other than donating, you can also sell some usable household goods so as to obtain some extra cash for the upcoming move.
– Decide which services you will need. Are you going to pack all by yourself? Are there some delicate or huge and oddly shaped items that need special treatment and packaging like artwork, heirlooms, piano, king-size bed, flat screen tv? Will some of your goods be stored for some time? Does your current home/new home require some repair works? Are you going to need professional cleaning services for both homes?
– Purchase a proper insurance so as to protect your items in case of some accident and possible damage.
– Sort all necessary documents and take care of the paperwork. Collect your and your family’s personal documents- ID cards, passports, birth certificates, driver’s licenses, school records, medical records,…Furthermore, pay your current bills, cancel subscriptions and some utility services and arrange for them in your new house/apartment.
– If you have children and/or pets, have someone look after them on the moving day. Keep them away from your movers and moving boxes so as to keep them safe.
– Sometimes high temperatures mixed with a lot of stress and hard work may result in a risk to the health, so do not forget to eat regularly and stay hydrated.