Moving furniture demands great exertion especially if you are moving by yourself. How to move heavy furniture is probably one of the first thoughts that will cross your mind when you decide to move.
A logical solution to this issue would be to hire professional moving company to assist you with the move. But, if you are moving on a tight budget, asking some friends to help you will be just fine. It’s important to use proper strategy and technique in order to keep your house and yourself from harm.
Moving heavy furniture safely
– Measure each item and check if everything fits through the door. Figure out the safest way to carry the furniture to the moving vehicle without damaging the furniture itself, walls or doorways. Measure width, depth and height of the furniture as well as dimensions of the doorways, hallways and the narrowest parts of the home where the sofa will pass.
– Gather necessary moving supplies: bubble wrap, tape, plastic wrap, corrugated cardboard, moving blankets, furniture pads, strong ropes, dolly, furniture sliders, steel lifters,…
– Disassemble furniture and make it easier to move. Remove any attached or loose part of the furniture – cushions, pillows, pulls, casters, bad frames,… wrap and pack them separately and move them into the moving truck. Dismantle the furniture according the instructions in its manual. While disassembling the furniture take several photos of each step so that you will know how to reassemble it again at your new place. Prepare your furniture for move in advance, before the moving day if possible.
– Remove everything from your furniture, empty drawers and cabinets in order to make the furniture pieces lighter. Pack all the contents in the moving boxes and label them properly. Germs, dust and bacteria don’t really need to be moved, so make sure to clean the empty furniture carefully.
– Protect the furniture properly. Since most of the furniture pieces are too large to be moved in a cardboard box, make sure to provide an extra protection by wrapping it in a protective moving material. Use bubble wrap to protect some of the most delicate parts and then wrap the furniture in padding.
– Protect your floors as well using moving pads or any other material to cover the floors, like plywood sheets or carpet film protectors. Also, don’t forget to protect door frames and corners. Keep your property in a good condition by applying some of the most important moving techniques.
– Take care of yourself. Proper lifting strategy will save you from injuries. And remember, use your legs, not your back to lift heavy furniture!
How to move a sofa through a doorway
– If you are unsure whether your sofa will fit through the doorway, measure its height, width and length.
– If possible, remove loose parts – cushions and pillows in order to make the sofa lighter and easier to carry.
– Measure the doorway, hallway, staircases and elevators,…
– Use a screwdriver to take the legs off in order to gain an extra space. Arms are often removable, but the procedure is a bit more complicated.
– Put some protective material on the floor – corrugated cardboard or blankets.
– If you are moving on your own, make sure to have enough helpers.
– In case your moving techniques won’t work and your sofa won’t fit through the door, call professionals. They are more experienced with heavy lifting and moving bulky items, so you can rest assured that your furniture will reach your new place safe and sound. Not only will they transport your heavy furniture, but they will also dismantle and pack each piece properly so as to prevent any damage.
– Purchase suitable type of insurance in order to cover your items in case of damage or losses.