Planning to move in autumn and put your house up for sale? Some people may say that autumn is a perfect time to put down roots somewhere else. Regardless of the season, renting an apartment and moving house is never an easy process.
Having a household move on your mind, you may be uncertain as to the best time of the year to organize it (if there is one). The truth is that your specific needs and requirements usually define the best timing. There’s no doubt that moving house requires a lot of planning ahead no matter the season, and each of them has advantages and disadvantages. If you set your moving date during the colder months there are certain steps you need to take to ensure a smooth experience during your move in autumn.
Although many people consider autumn an off-season for moving house and estate purchases, you may be surprised by the number of properties still for sale. Not only will you be able to find plenty of available homes, but also they will be reasonably priced.
As it turns out, there is much less competition in moving and real estate industries during the colder autumn and winter months. Therefore, you are likely to get better moving deals and discounts.
Tips and tricks for your move in autumn
Moving in autumn gives you new opportunities and it’s up to your personal circumstances whether you are going to take advantage of them. Have these helpful guidelines handy when preparing for your big autumn move:
– Have the utilities transferred and set up before the moving day. If you are moving locally visit your new home prior to the day of the move just to make sure the lighting and heating systems are in order and to carry out other checks.
– Make sure the access to the home is clear and all sidewalks, walkways and driveways free of snow (if you happen to move in autumn on a cold, snowy November day). Remove fallen leaves of the lawn and walkways so as to keep any potential safety hazard at bay while carrying moving boxes and large appliances.
– Protect inside traffic areas with pieces of cardboard or plastic sheets. Ensure an easy access to both of your properties.
– Prepare hot beverages and snacks so as to keep your movers and helpers energized and hydrated.
Biggest concerns about your move in autumn
– Moving in bad weather conditions may come with a series of challenges, so moving everything by yourself wouldn’t be a good idea, even if you are relocating locally. Professional movers are facing similar logistics issues on a daily basis and they know how to deal with them successfully.
– Start checking weather forecast a couple of days before the day of the move. Weather condition changes are quite possible, so plan your autumn move accordingly. But, the good news is that you won’t be additionally exhausted by the heat and high temperatures if you happen to move in autumn.
– Think of a back-up plan in case you have to reschedule the move due to the circumstances that are beyond your control. Inclement weather and heavy rains may endanger your autumn move, so have a plan B just to ensure your peace of mind if anything goes wrong.
Should I move house in autumn?
Is there an ideal time of the year to move house? In order to determine the best time for a household move you should take several factors into account: lifestyle, finances, priorities, personal needs and requirements.
The truth is that whenever you decide to move, you will have to put a lot of effort, time and energy in the process. Let’s face it – the move will take a lot of planning ahead. Luckily, you are not alone! If you have planned to move in autumn, you can certainly count on lots of quality and affordable NYC movers who can turn the entire process into a positive and stress-free experience.
How to move in autumn with children?
If you are moving with children, one of the most important factors you should consider is your children’s school calendar. Therefore, summer would be ideal time to move as children would have enough time to adjust to the new surroundings. They will be able to say goodbye to their old friends and even make some new ones before the new school year starts.
Try to make this transition as easy as possible for your children by setting your priorities beforehand. Allow your children enough time to settle into the new home and neighborhood and start a new school year along with other kids.
Although summer is the most popular season to schedule a household move, movers are charging higher rates during the summertime. So, if you are looking for more cost-effective options and reasonable moving quotes, choose to move in autumn.
Also, you are likely to struggle to find reputable movers if you don’t start your quest on time. Booking well in advance means saving money on your household move. So, if your schedule is rather flexible, set your moving date during a less busy period.
Other considerations related to your move in autumn
Speaking of the best time for your household move, let’s discuss some specifics. When moving house even a tiny detail can make a huge difference in terms of the complexity and the final cost of the move. It’s highly recommended to start your move as early in the morning as possible. Even if moving during the summertime, you can take advantage of cooler mornings. Not to mention that you will have more time for all moving-related activities.
When deciding on a moving date, it’s best to choose a weekday, since movers are in high demand during weekends. Contrary to popular belief, the best period of the month to perform a household move is not the beginning or the end of the month. If you opt for a mid-month move you are likely to get quality moving services at a reasonable price.