One of the most important decisions you have to make while moving is finding trustworthy, reputable moving company.
Whether you are performing local or long-distance move, the list of moving companies in NYC is really long. However, choosing the right one could be a real challenge. Reputable, competent movers can organize the whole relocation process and make it much easier for you.
Beware of moving companies that don’t follow standard ethical business procedures. Not having a license or insurance, they are operating in an illegal and fraudulent way. If you are not attentive enough, you can easily become a victim of scammers.
While searching for a proper moving company, mind the difference between movers, scammers and brokers.
Brokers evaluate the move and forward the job to a moving company. They actually don’t have logistics or movers. It’s the movers who give you an estimate, not brokers.
A moving company offers transportation and packing services. They usually have their own movers, trucks and moving equipment in order to handle the whole moving and delivery process.
Moving scammers are usually trying to get money from you without providing any service. Unfortunately, if you are not careful enough, it’s only on moving day when you realize that you were actually scammed.
However, these tips may help you spot them on time and save yourself a lot of trouble.
– If they are refusing to provide you with an on-site estimate and don’t want to make an inventory of your belongings, but, at the same time, they are offering more than appealing quote, something’s probably not right. An estimate is usually made over phone or internet. For the purpose of further verification, you can ask them to provide you with their Department of Transportation number and check them with Better Business Bureau (BBB), Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association (FMCSA) and American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA).
If they are not willing to share those information with you, that could mean that you are actually dealing with scammers.
So, pay attention and research further your movers. There are a lot of information available on internet, so do a background check of the movers you are hiring. Also, other people’s experiences can be very useful for you.
Don’t trust the movers whose quote is extremely low, because they will pack all your belongings and get away with them. They will hold your possessions hostage and wouldn’t give them back to you unless you pay the enormous price they asked.
In order to be 100% sure try to get a quote from several moving companies. Bare in mind that the good service does cost money and don’t be misled by the low cost estimate.
The worst-case scenario would be that they load the truck with your items and just disappear.
– Their moving insurance covers all your possessions.
– Rogue movers accept exclusively cash and request large amount of deposit. On the other hand, reputable moving company requests the payment after the move is done.
– Their contact details are not available on the website. Sometimes they have non-existing office.
– They are answering the phone with a generic greeting ”Moving company” or ”Movers”, instead of stating the name of the company.
– You won’t get any contract or at least any valid contract stating terms and conditions of move. However, you should know your rights and request that document. Also, have pickup and delivery dates in writing.
– Their office (if they have one) is usually unpresentable and in poor condition.
– There is no name of the company on the trucks, which are rented.
– An estimate is not based on cubic feet. They provide you with an hourly rate, if they work slow or if there is a traffic you will be charged for it. in 90% of cases you end up paying more than you would pay for flat price.
– They don’t provide you with references. Even if they do, references are usually false.
When you get referrals from the companies, don’t disregard them. Find out what went well, and what didn’t.
Considering all negative aspects, everyone should put a lot of thought into choosing a mover.
Ask your friends or relatives for referrals – you could use them, given the actual situation. Reputable, licensed and trustworthy movers can save you a lot of trouble, so get to work and do a thorough research if you want your move done as soon as possible. When you find movers that suit you, call them, and don’t hesitate to pay them a visit.