Getting the best deal on the moving services and saving on professional movers is a significant accomplishment when organizing a household move. Moving house happens to be a very expensive undertaking and negotiating for a better rate and cheaper moving services may be beneficial for you. The overall cost of your household move depends on several factors: type of moving company, moving distance, additional moving services, shipment volume, time of the year,… If you want to engage your negotiating skills, you should know that in most cases moving companies’ rates are not firmly established and difficult to change. After all, you have nothing to lose if you try to lower the price of moving services.
You are pursuing not only a reasonable price, but also a good quality of services. The rule of thumb – do not sacrifice quality for low cost services when choosing a moving company.
– Ask your movers NYC whether they have some discounts and promotions at the moment. If there are any, they should be visible on the company’s official website.
– Identify fraudulent moving companies before you get scammed.
Stay away from extremely low moving quotes and suspicious companies. Perform a background check on every moving company you are interested in so as to identify their business goals and policy. In most cases unusually low moving estimate should be considered as a warning sign of a moving scam. Researching moving companies can be a nerve-wracking and time-consuming process, but once you ensure that your entire household is in good hands you will realize that the effort is worthwhile. Finding a moving company you can entrust all your belongings takes time, and if you fail to investigate the company further, you may easily become victim of a dishonest moving company that will take advantage of you.
– Check online reviews and rating. It’s in your best interest to hire one of the top rated moving companies. Once you spot them, you can start engaging your negotiating skills and try to get the best possible deal. Get several on-site moving estimates from licensed and reputable movers and compare the offers. Afterwards you will realize that moving quotes may vary and you can use them to get the most convenient deal.
– If you are moving during the off-season, a moving company you are interested in would reconsider and adjust their offer in order not to lose you as a customer, especially if you are prepared to go for a more affordable alternative. Although you are attracted to the quality service they offer, let them know that you are willing to accept a lower price offered by their competitors. Inform them that other moving companies are offering a lower price for the same moving services.
– Be flexible in order to get a good deal.
Your movers may ask you to reschedule your moving date so that they can synchronize your move with other customers’ needs. If your household belongings are transported along with other customers’ possessions, the price is going to be even more affordable, therefore, be open to certain compromises in order to reach an agreement that would be beneficial for each side.
– Negotiate on additional moving services especially if you are moving during the off-season between October and May. Even if you are not able to score a discount, your movers may be willing to arrange for some free additional services like packing, disassembly and reassembly of furniture, handling of delicate and oddly-shaped items, storage services,… And remember, you can compromise on price, but not on quality of moving services, since the outcome of the household move depends on your decision. A poor choice of yours may lead to an even bigger disaster, which is the last thing you want to incur on your moving day.