Having all household items moved to the new home is a huge relief, but some people simply don’t feel at ease until the last moving box is unpacked. After all the difficulties you’ve been through during the relocation process, you are likely to experience some mixed emotions the first day at your new home.
If you reach your new home during the night, the only logical thing to do is to take a nice shower and make a bed. Have a good night’s rest after a long day of packing, heavy lifting and mental and emotional exhaustion. Remember, there’s no rush, you can take your time and organize your belongings slowly and accurately, the boxes aren’t going anywhere.
List of things to do on the first day in your new home
While standing confused among the piles of moving boxes, you may be wondering where to start and how to arrange your goods so as to make your new place feel like home.
– Prepare a cup of strong coffee and plan your activities for the day ahead of you.
– Have a floor plan handy. Mark up where each item needs to be placed, so that your New York movers can arrange the boxes and furniture properly.
– Check if anything was damaged during the move and if your appliances work properly. In case you notice some damage made during the transport notify your movers as soon as possible. Check your inventory list in order to determine whether each item has made it to the new destination. You may open a couple of boxes with some valuable and fragile items and make sure they survived the transport undamaged.
– First unpack the essentials you will be using over the next few days and keep them handy. It’s pointless to try to unpack everything at once. Set up clean towels, linens, clothes, toiletries, children’s favorite toys, pet’s food, napkins, basic kitchen items and take your time to organize your new space to your liking. Make sure to make your bathroom and kitchen functional and afterwards arrange your space as you go.
– Give your house a thorough cleaning before you unpack everything. Remember that it is easier for you to reach some spots while the house is still empty. Also, this is a good opportunity to inspect your home inside out.
– Don’t rush to unpack everything the same day. Take a break after a couple of hours of unpacking and take a walk around your new neighborhood. Say hello to your neighbors and introduce yourself properly. Be friendly to them and take the time to chat for a while.
– If you didn’t manage to have utilities transferred or set up before the move, do it immediately after you move in.
– Explore your new neighborhood while taking a break from unpacking. Ask your neighbors about some of the most popular restaurants and bars and treat yourself to a good meal. If you don’t feel like cooking, don’t waste your time on it. You can relax and enjoy a family meal elsewhere.
– Visit the nearest supermarket and stock up on the necessities.
– Involve your children in the moving process so as to keep them busy and entertained. Let your little ones take care of their toys, which will keep them out of your way. On the other hand, you can assign more serious tasks to your teenage kids. Let them make plans and arrange their room the way they like.
– Planning your housewarming party will encourage you to move forward and do the unpacking smoothly and efficiently. If you are not too tired, you can organize a get-together at your place or go out with your friends and family. Just do what feels right for you and celebrate your new beginning.
Experience the peace of mind that comes from working with a trusted, affordable moving service. Our team of dedicated movers is committed to providing excellent customer service and making sure your items arrive in the same condition they were in before the move. We work hard to ensure that your move is as stress-free as possible and that your possessions are handled with the utmost care. With our competitive prices and commitment to customer satisfaction, you can be sure that your move will be an enjoyable and successful experience.