The hardwood floors may be in danger on the moving day due to a lot of foot traffic, so protecting the floors during a move should be added to your moving checklist.
The fact that you are moving out doesn’t mean that you don’t have to take care of the house/apartment that was your home until a couple of hours ago. Whether it is your property or a rented one, future tenants or buyers would appreciate your diligence. On the other hand, it’s in your best interest to protect the flooring in your new house properly so that you don’t have to do some repair works immediately after you settle in.
Compared with other moving tasks, protecting the floors during a move may seem like a minor detail, almost insignificant, but if you fail to do so, the consequences may be evident and costly. Damaged floors in your new house/apartment is not a picture you had in mind when you were planning how your new home would look like.
The following tips will help you figure out how to keep your floors in a good shape even during the move.
– Put a doormat in front of every room and keep dirt, mud or dust away.
– Place plastic film or cardboard all over the wooden floor. Cardboard is usually the cheapest option, but not the smartest, since it may slide around easily.
– When moving appliances and large household items make sure your floors are covered with more durable material like plywood. A paper cover might not provide enough protection when you are moving oddly shaped and bulky items.
– Mask sharp edges of bulky household items and wrap legs of the furniture with some protective material like old towels or clothes.
– If you are moving on a rainy or snowy day, you will have to change your floor covers from time to time so as to avoid possible accidents due to the slippery surface.
– Use furniture sliders for moving heavy pieces of furniture and kitchen appliances.
– Use plastic, self-adhesive carpet covering to keep your carpets safe and clean. Make sure to purchase a non-slippery cover so as to ensure an injury-free move. Other more affordable alternatives might not be a good solution. Materials like old clothing, blankets or towels are likely to move around the surface and create some unwanted accidents.
– Also, ram board can cover large areas and protect your floors against dirt, mud, water, paint,…
If you are unsure as to how to ensure your floors’ safety during the move contact your local movers and find out more information regarding this matter. Other than a lot of helpful pieces of advice, they can also provide all necessary supplies and materials for protecting the floors during a move. On account of their expertise, your items will be handled in the most professional way. Hiring reputable and trustworthy movers will ensure a safe transport of your belongings.
Once you are settled into your new home, you may be interested in some tricks how to keep your floor in a perfect condition.
– Both your old and new house will need a thorough cleaning after the moving day. If this seems too overwhelming for you, hire professional cleaning services to help you out.
– Due to a constant exposure, your floors will need regular cleaning, vacuuming, mopping so that they can remain in a good shape.
– Put doormats so that your visitors can wipe off the dirt from their shoes.
– Rugs and mats are both decorative and practical details for your home.
– Have a ”shoes off” rule. Have your visitors take off their shoes before entering the home, especially if you have wall-to-wall carpets.
Experience the peace of mind that comes from working with a trusted, affordable moving service. Our team of dedicated movers is committed to providing excellent customer service and making sure your items arrive in the same condition they were in before the move. We work hard to ensure that your move is as stress-free as possible and that your possessions are handled with the utmost care. With our competitive prices and commitment to customer satisfaction, you can be sure that your move will be an enjoyable and successful experience.