It’s official now – you are definitely moving abroad. Well, we have good news for you – you are on the right page! Dumbo moving and storage team has performed thousands of similar moves and we are glad to share our experience and expertise. When trying to envision your life abroad, there are so many factors to take into consideration. Probably the very first thing that crosses your mind when it comes to moving abroad is how to move the entire household overseas.
With so many tasks to complete before moving day, no wonder there’s so much stress involved. Moving overseas requires more advance planning and organization than any other local move. Also, moving budget is one of the main concerns for most people and staying within reasonable limits can be really tricky.
As it turns out, due to a better standard of living some international destinations seem to attract a lot of people eager to widen their horizons. Some people are forced to pursue their dreams elsewhere for different reasons – better career opportunities, lower cost of living, better school options, seeking an adventure, comfortable retirement destination.
Whatever the reason, there’s a whole new world of opportunities to explore. But first things first! The moment you learn that you are moving abroad for sure, start creating your unique moving checklist. Also, the sooner you figure out whether to hire a reputable international moving company, the more efficient the preparation process will be.
Moving abroad smoothly – is it possible?
A detailed and timely organization can make a difference between disastrous and successful household move.
This especially rings true if you are moving abroad. You will have to invest much greater efforts to make a smooth transition to a foreign country. As it turns out, there’s no better way to achieve that than to hire a trustworthy moving company.
Moving thousands of miles away from the current home requires a serious and professional approach. If relocating to a foreign country feels right for you, reputable movers will help you make the most out of your relocation adventure. While they are handling the logistics of the move you can take care of other moving-related and emotionally challenging tasks. Remember, breaking the news about the upcoming move to your friends and loved ones won’t be easy.
Finding proper interstate movers is an important task that requires your full attention and dedication. So, research carefully moving companies in order to get the best possible deal. Depending on the season and moving date, chances are that you will have a hard time getting professional yet reasonably priced moving services.
Explore your options by getting several moving estimates from different moving companies. You will realize that moving quotes and costs of moving services may significantly vary due to some additional services and requests like:
- crating artwork and other special items
- storage services
- appliance servicing
- shuttle services
Those extra services are not automatically included in the moving cost and it’s always a good idea to familiarize yourself with the terms of the move before signing any contract. Professional movers will guide you through each step of you international relocation and manage all practical matters diligently.
Questions to ask your movers when moving abroad
Hiring professional international movers can be both tricky and challenging and there are a few considerations that may help you identify those up to the task. Before making your final choice you may want them to answer some of the following questions:
- First and foremost: Do you have proper license and insurance necessary for international moves?
- How do you determine the moving quote?
- How much experience do you have in international moves?
- Are you going to deliver my belongings directly to the destination?
- Who will take care of the shipment once it arrives?
- How will the shipment pass through customs?
- Are there any customs brokering services?
- Who will guide me through the custom process upon the arrival?
- Do you offer short-term and long-term storage options?
- Can you provide references and previous customers’ contact details?
- Will other companies be involved in the process?
- Which packing materials and supplies do you use?
- Which type of payment do you accept?
After asking these simple questions you will get a better understanding of the quality of service your prospective movers are offering. As it turns out, a bit of extra research can save you from a major hassle and headache. It’s always a good idea to spend some time researching moving companies online so as to ensure they are the right fit.
Dishonest and fraudulent moving companies can turn the entire move into a horror story, which is why you should take precautions in advance.
How to deal with the culture shock after moving abroad
It should come as no surprise if you find yourself struggling to adjust to a new environment after moving abroad. The sooner you familiarize yourself with the possible symptoms of culture shock, the easier it will be to deal with them once they appear.
The truth is that you will feel the effects of change as soon as you face the unfamiliar. However, it’s up to you to try your best to reduce the stress level when moving abroad.
Here are some suggestions on how to feel comfortable after moving to a foreign country.
– Settle into your new place by recreating familiar surroundings. Make your new space feel like home as soon as you unpack the last moving box.
– Get to know your neighbors. Making new friends who are from the country you have moved to can speed up the adjustment process.
– Explore your new city. Find out where the nearest places of interest are. You will feel more comfortable knowing how to get to the local grocery store, pharmacy, bar, restaurant, pet shop,…
– Join social groups and communities where you can meet people with similar interests or make friends from the similar cultural background. While it can be comforting to spend time with people who share your experience, opening yourself to some new friendships can be more beneficial.