A household move is one of the most important events in your life and you are likely to experience a lot of mixed emotions throughout the process. Excitement about the fresh start in a new place combined with fear, anxiety and sadness is an expected scenario when it comes to moving to a new home.
Tips for keeping your sense of humor while moving house
The mere thought of moving to an unfamiliar environment and leaving your dear friends and neighbors sometimes may seem terrifying. Therefore, try to keep your sense of humor during the relocation process and remember that your mood will affect your loved ones as well. If you are frustrated and nervous about the upcoming move, your children are more likely to experience anxiety themselves. In spite of your best intentions you may have trouble dealing with the relocation stress, so you should learn how to manage stress in a healthy way.
Remember that a household move itself doesn’t have to be a tragic event and you alone can create a positive relocation experience for you and your family.
– Maintain a positive attitude.
If you are being hesitant or negative about the move, it is time to change your perspective. It’s mostly up to you how you will perceive the moving process. Whether it is going to be a painful or positive experience depends also on your point of view. Give yourself enough time to prepare for the move without pressure always keeping in mind positive aspects of the move.
– Think about pros of moving to a new location. How is this move beneficial for you and your family?
– Be optimistic about what comes next and look forward to the things that made you choose that place to be your new home. By focusing on the things that you like about your new city or neighborhood you will easily get excited about picturing yourself in a new environment.
– Start packing early so that everything’s prepared and ready to go when the movers NYC arrive. Delays can be very frustrating, but an efficient organization will help you move your items right on time.
– Don’t let other people bring you down. Surround yourself with people who have positive attitude and rest assured that you will get through the move safe and sound.
– Reward yourself and your helpers by doing something relaxing. Take a break from packing and organizing the move by watching funny movies or listening to the music while running moving errands. Remember that you can spend some enjoyable time with your loved ones even in the middle of the moving hustle and bustle. Make moving preparations a fun experience for everyone involved by keeping stress at bay as much as possible.
– Moving to a new home is an opportunity to make new ideas and choices. Leaving bad habits behind and creating a new routine is more than a good start, isn’t it?
– Don’t forget to get a good night’s sleep before the moving day so as to maintain your mental and physical stability.
– Regain your energy by having regular and nutritious meals, especially on the moving day when people are likely to skip their meals.
How to keep your kids entertained on moving day
If you are traveling by car to the new location there are a lot of fun activities that can help you pass the time. This is especially important for your kids who may get nervous anticipating how their new home will look like. Make sure your children feel at ease by surrounding them with familiar contents and activities. Try to make the most of this unusual road trip by putting some relaxing music on and playing a good movie while in the car or on the plane to the new home. Furthermore, make sure there are no major disruptions in your kids’ routine during the relocation process. Depending on their age, get your children involved in the moving activities, since they would probably be thrilled to help you.