Packing dishes for the move and other household items safely should be your top priority when preparing for relocation. By following these simple guidelines, breakable kitchen items will reach the new home intact. Some people would say that all the fuss about packing and moving the kitchen is overrated.
Although it seems like a small unit, there are a lot of cupboards and drawers containing numerous tiny items that need special attention. With all the items you have in your kitchen, it’s easy to lose track of everything you need to pack. As a result, you will need a lot of effort and time to sort your dishes and pack them properly for the move. Once you clean and sort out your dishes, the next step should be getting packing supplies and wrapping them safely. If you have never moved to another home, don’t let the number of household items and breakables frighten you. Even the most fragile items can be easily handled if you follow our suggestions.
Which packing supplies to use for packing dishes for the move?
When it comes to packing fragile items, you can never use too many packing supplies to secure them. Some of the things you should make sure to use are some sturdy moving boxes that you can get at a local moving company. Since dishes can break easily and need to be packed separately, you will also need some soft fabrics and materials. Here’s the list of the packing supplies you should prepare.
- Packing paper. You can use a lot of it to pack every dish individually. Also, you can crumble it to minimize the space around dishes in moving boxes.
- Bubbly paper. It can work as well as packing paper, but it is a bit bulkier, so it adds extra support.
- You can use paper towels, cloths, and clothing if you need to pack last-minute. These are not the best supplies you can get, but they’ll serve the purpose last minute.
- Sturdy moving boxes or original packaging. These boxes will make sure to minimize the movement of your kitchenware during transportation.
- Packing tape. For extra security of your dishes, you can use packing tape to fix and bind dishes together. Also, you should make sure to tape and secure each moving box.
- Labeling device. Since packing dishes for the move is a time-consuming process, you should mark the boxes “fragile” and secure them for the move.
Packing dishes for the move – how to do it, right?
Use enough packing supplies
Have enough packing supplies and protective material on hand-packing paper, dish boxes, packing tape, bubble paper, towels, etc. Dish boxes are specialized moving containers designed for packing dishes for the move, as well as moving fragile kitchen items. Dish boxes are more durable with thicker walls than regular cardboard boxes, and as a result, they are more expensive.
Make sure to use as much packing paper as you can to wrap every glassware item. You should also cover the bottom of every box and fill a space inside the box with it to make sure that items cannot move around before putting crumpled paper, tape the bottom of the box properly to reinforce it. Do not overpack the boxes and add an extra layer of the packing paper at the top.
Wrap dishes individually
To ensure the best protection, wrap each item individually, pack bigger items first, and light items at the top of the box. Also, while packing dishes for the move, make protective cushioning inside and out the dishes. While lifting the box, if you hear the clunking sound, know that there is still a free space between the items that need to be filled with crumpled paper. Do not hesitate to do double-wrap more delicate items like porcelain, crystal, or stoneware. Furthermore, although the item is already wrapped in paper, put an extra protective layer of bubbly paper over it.
For securing your dishes for the upcoming move, you can also use a bubbly, so you can either use a crumpled paper or a bubbly paper to make a soft base for your items. Once packing dishes for the move is over, place once again protective padding material at the top and close boxes with tape.
Additional tips for packing kitchen inventory
Here are some of the useful tips you may need to read before packing dishes for the move:
- Small kitchen appliances can be placed in a dish box, but not necessarily, since those boxes are designed for delicate and breakable items like bowls, plates, glasses, cups, vases, stemware, etc.
- Items like pots, pans, plastic kitchen items don’t need to be packed in a dish box. Use regular cardboard box instead, since similar items are not so delicate.
- Make sure to include other dish packing material costs in the moving budget. Some of them will cost extra money except the plain cardboard boxes (which can be found for free). If you are about to exceed the budget, use some alternatives every household has – newspapers, old towels, and any kind of fabrics which can be used as padding material.
- Label each moving box so that your movers will know the content of the boxes, and where each of them belongs. In case you have additional instructions for the people responsible for transporting them, write them down.
- Be very careful when packing dishes for the move and loading the boxes into the moving truck. No matter how much the items are protected, one careless step while loading the boxes can cause a lot of damage.
- If you are uncertain as to how you will manage the packing of extra fragile and valuable items, consider professional packing services provided by your movers or any other company specializing in packing for the move.
- Consider paying for expert packing services in NYC. Professional movers will know how to secure your dishes in the best way possible. Moreover, packing can be a part of a full home moving service.
- Last but not least, purchase proper insurance to cover your items in case of damage or losses.
What are the costs of moving your home?
When it comes to moving your home, packing all of your inventory will take just a small part of your moving budget. Before you start planning the relocation day, you should consider all the other moving costs. The overall cost of your move will depend on the distance of your move and the number of moving boxes you’ll have. However, there are some easy ways to calculate your moving costs and plan your budget in the right direction.
Before packing dishes for the move, you should check a few moving companies and see if they offer a moving cost estimator. This useful tool is a form on the company’s website, and it can help you find out the cost of moving services. Depending on the details you fill in, you will see which service you can afford to pay. Another way of calculating your moving budget is by telling movers more about your moving plans. A good moving company will always consider your budget and other limitations and suggest the best moving plan.
Get ready to organize moving assistance
One of the most time-consuming tasks is packing dishes for the move. If you want to save some time while preparing your household for relocation, make sure to look for trustworthy moving companies. Local movers can offer help with transportation of your fragile inventory and provide many specialized services. Packing fragile items is something moving companies specialize for. So, before you start packing dishes for the move, consider hiring professional moving assistance and forget about the moving troubles!