When moving house on your own one of the tasks you have to take care of is renting a moving truck.
Suitable moving truck is very important aspect of a successful move, so there are a lot of information to learn before renting it.
The size and the type of moving vehicle
Choosing the right size of the moving truck can be quite challenging if you are performing DIY move. You may be uncertain whether the effective capacity of the moving truck will be enough, so make sure you assess your belongings previously. Be aware that renting a larger moving truck will cost you more. Furthermore, unless you immobilize your belongings, they can get easily damaged during the transport. On the other hand, too small moving trucks with insufficient space are complete waste of time and money, since you are forced to get back several times or leave your belongings behind.
Depending on the load, there are several options:
– pickup truck for partial local moves – cargo van for partial local moves or studio move – 10-12 ft. truck – small moving vehicles for studio or dorm moves – 14-17 ft. truck – medium sized vehicle for moving offices, small houses one or two-bedroom apartments – 20-26 ft. truck – the biggest moving vehicle for long distance moves of big apartments and houses.
Tips for loading a moving truck
– Rent proper moving equipment. It’s very important that your items are packed safely and efficiently, so get moving supplies at the nearest NYC moving company or moving supply store. Moving trucks are usually equipped with the loading ramps which enable easier loading and unloading. Also, an appliance dolly is necessary for transporting heavy and bulky pieces – kitchen appliances and furniture. Also, get some straps in order to attach your goods to the appliance dolly.
– Have one or two helpers in the truck, while others will carry your belongings to the truck.
– Load the heaviest appliances (like washing machine, refrigerator, stove,…) and safely packed items first. The heaviest boxes should be placed at the bottom of the truck with lighter boxes stacked on the top. Put kitchen appliances in the upright position so as to ensure the safe transport. Also, make sure to secure them to the side walls of the moving vehicle.
– Large pieces of furniture should be loaded afterwards. Disassemble your furniture a few days before the moving day. Find the best position for your goods, so that the space is efficiently used. Remember that cupboards, nightstands and any other items with drawers should be placed against the wall so that those cannot open during the transport.
– Protect each piece of furniture properly using a lot of bubble wrap, padding. Additionally, instead of packing linens, old clothes and blankets, use them as packing material.
– Bags with clothes, linens and shoes should be packed last and fill out the empty space and provide cushioning at the same time.
Tips for unloading a moving truck
– Engage the loading ramp again and open the truck doors slowly.
– First unload the last loaded items and lighter boxes placed on the large furniture pieces and bulky appliances.
– Engage your helpers and a dolly while unloading heavy appliances.
– Pay attention to lifting and carrying strategies so as to make sure no one gets injured. Move slowly and take care of your back strain by using the strength of your legs and arms properly.
– Have a floor plan on hand and clearly visible so that every item is delivered to its designated place.
– Once all items are unloaded, take a look around the moving truck in case you have forgotten something.
– Clean the empty truck and return it on time as you have agreed with the rental company.
– Start unpacking. Reassemble your furniture using relevant manuals and photos you have made while you were disassembling it.
– Arrange your new place according to your preferences and possibilities. Plan carefully every step and don’t rush things.