Every aspect of your relocation can be difficult, challenging and overwhelming. Even in the beginning, when you are choosing your moving partners, as well as later on when you are struggling with what type of moving boxes are you going to need. But, there is one aspect that is the hardest one and the most difficult one to prepare for. And that is the emotional aspect. It is very difficult to know how to emotionally prepare for your NYC move. Relocations can be quite exhausting, both physically and emotionally. If you don’t take some time to deal with it, it just might be too much for you to handle.
Rather than worrying and feeling anxious all the time, you should take some time to figure out how can you deal emotionally with your relocation to the Big Apple.
There is no timeline for emotional aspects of the move, so make your own
Fit your feelings into a calendar before you relocate to the Big Apple
When it comes to good old NYC moving timeline, it’s a piece of cake. You already know, week by week, exactly what are you going to do and how are you going to do it. Your moving checklist is already in your back pocket and you are completely ready to go. That doesn’t mean that you are not going to burst into tears between checkpoint 3 and 4. Which is why these kind of preparations are equally, if not more important.
It is not easy to emotionally prepare for your NYC move. You have to give yourself time, to follow your own pace, and to always know what journey lies ahead. Even if you are moving on to something bigger and better, it is still difficult to let go. Many people never see the world only because of the fear that paralyzes them. But, you are not one of those people and bright lights of New York are already calling for you. Before you start calling New York your new home, you need to be emotionally prepared to leave your current one.
Make time for everyone by throwing a farewell party and tell everyone goodbye
This is insanely difficult and sometimes feels impossible to do, but it is much better than not saying goodbye. Once you depart to the city of opportunities, you don’t know how often or if ever will you be able to spend time with people from your previous home. Which is why taking time to tell all of them goodbye is an extremely important part of your relocation. The problem with these kinds of events is that they are filled with so many mixed emotions that people generally have a hard time dealing with it. But, it doesn’t have to be like that. Here are some tips on making your farewell party more joyful:
- Use a lot of colorful decorations, old pictures and fluffy banners. Make the party something festive, rather than a sad occasion.
- Maintain the feeling of festivities by providing people with foods and drinks and keeping the atmosphere to the point with some cheerful music
- Avoid long speeches and theatrical approach. If you see anyone going for it, separate them one on one and give them special attention. Have in mind, being emotionally prepared for your relocation is something your friends and family need to do as well.
Emotionally prepare for your NYC move by taking care of yourself
It is impossible to deal with all of the stress and emotions of the relocation if you are not taking care of
yourself. You might think that it doesn’t matter if you are drinking enough water or getting enough sleep, but it does. The strain you are putting on yourself will eventually catch up to you. That is why in order to emotionally prepare for your NYC move, you need to take care of yourself. So, let’s see how you can do exactly that:
- Begin with the basics and make sure that you are getting enough sleep, food, and water. Don’t skip meals and don’t cause yourself additional stress by being sleep deprived.
- Avoid stress that isn’t necessary for you. While you are in charge for relocation, there will be plenty of things that will cause you anxiety. But not everything requires your attention. Choose your battles wisely, there will be way too many of them either way.
- Always keep close to you something that can make you feel better – music, books, coffee or a yoga mat. Make that your safety blanket and go to it in times of need. Take control of your emotions and approach this situation with wisdom and maturity.
Always keep your eyes on the prize – New York is waiting for you
Moving out contains departure, farewells and letting go. But, it also contains new beginnings and a fresh start. Focus on that. Dealing with an emotional relocation will be that much easier if you apply this approach. You are moving to one of the greatest city on the planet. Okay, to be fair, it is the greatest!
Have this in mind while you are being overwhelmed and going through your childhood memories, feeling blue and nostalgic. It isn’t easy to do it, but you shouldn’t let your emotions get the best of you.
In order to distract yourself from the negative aspects, start researching your new home. Find out what are awesome things that newbies can do in New York, and start planning your new and exciting adventures. Explore what discounts and cheap things you can find in NY, and spend at least a portion of your day focusing only on what lies ahead. This is a great way to be emotionally prepared for your NYC move.