When going through a household move, chances are you will be overwhelmed with numerous questions. Whether you need a safe place where you can keep your items for a determined period of time while you’re away, or you are downsizing to a place where your items cannot fit, renting a storage unit can be a viable option. Renting a storage unit will grant you the additional space you need. Also, it will relieve your home of unnecessary objects. There are so many possible scenarios, but when dealing with excess household belongings, one burning question will most certainly arise: How much does it cost to rent storage in New York?
Get several estimates to get a sense of how much it will cost to rent storage in New York. Having some additional space for all your treasured belongings may seem ideal. However, it comes at an extra monthly cost. The prices may vary depending on the location, size, and special features of the storage unit. As it turns out, in most cases, the cost of storage services can make or break a deal. Moving house can be a costly endeavor, and any kind of additional costs can burden your tiny budget. Luckily, there is a wide range of options as long as you explore the market thoroughly and find the desired storage in the right time frame.
If you have no experience in renting storage units in NYC, hopefully, you will find our guidelines helpful down the road.
Can I afford to rent a storage unit?
How much it costs to rent storage in New York may be the first thing you will ask yourself when planning to rent one. Storage rental costs may vary from one company to another. To determine the average cost of storage services, it’s highly advisable to request several moving and storage estimates. No two storage companies are alike, and your overall experience will depend on the amount of relevant information you gather before you make the final call. Getting a good deal on storage services is usually a matter of meticulous research and thorough planning. Considering the number of cheap storage companies in NYC, you may find yourself wondering which one could be a good fit.
To get a sense of how much it will cost to rent storage in NYC, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- size of the storage facility
- climate control
- security features
- lease period
As soon as you decide which household belongings are worth storing, start researching storage companies. Needless to say, a recommendation from a friend is always the most valuable guideline. However, you can spot an excellent moving and storage company by reading online moving reviews. As a matter of fact, it’s a highly recommendable step considering the number of fraudulent companies looking around that represent themselves as certified services while actually being scammers.
When it comes to the proper criteria regarding the subject, user reviews are the best option alongside your own evaluation of the company. Certified companies own a solid customer support service and accentuate proper work ethics. Some will even give out discounts if you book on time.
Efficient ways to reduce storage costs
Get rid of everything you no longer need by donating, selling, or recycling unnecessary items. Also, if the objects you don’t need are usable, consider donating them to a charity or an unprofitable organization that will put this stuff to good use.
No matter how you plan it, moving is always expensive. Although spending money on some activities that you really like may seem more appealing than investing in moving and storing, you should still plan your budget wisely. An excellent place to start is by sorting and trimming your items. As with any other life-changing event, some decisions are easier than others.
As people tend to develop a particular emotional attachment to their items, no wonder why they have trouble letting go when the time comes to move house. However, don’t make the mistake of piling up stuff even though you grew some emotional attachment to the objects mentioned above. There is no need to worry as you’ll soon buy new. Deciding what to move and what to part with can be challenging and beneficial for your moving budget. Once you’ve made the list of the items you are not going to move, it’s time to figure out what to do with these pieces. Selling, donating, and recycling before moving are way better options than keeping unnecessary items that you will toss eventually.
Pro tips for reducing storage costs
Store only the things you are going to use at some point. Paying high storage fees for keeping unnecessary items makes no sense. So, be ruthless when decluttering to keep more money in your pocket.
- Apply space-saving packing supplies as well as an enviable technique.
- A long-term rental could be a more cost-effective solution than renting a storage unit for a couple of weeks or months.
- By paying upfront, you may be able to obtain a discount from your cross country movers NYC.
- Unless you have temperature-sensitive and valuable items, do not choose facilities with unique features as you will be obliged to pay more for the space you didn’t need.
- Decide if you need an appropriate insurance plan depending on the type of items that will go to storage. Check if your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance will cover your items while in storage.
How much will it cost to rent storage in New York City?
Find storage services within your moving budget. Take the time to conduct the budget you plan on using and put it on paper. How much money do you plan on spending on moving, packing, transport, proper materials? And how much money do you plan to spend on storage?
Although there are storage units in different sizes, that doesn’t mean that you should just transfer your goods to it without making any adjustments.
While it may seem like a no-brainer, you’d better approach the task of finding the storage unit seriously. The larger the storage unit, the more cash you are going to invest. But, before you make the final decision, take a look at the average costs of storage units.
The price range
How much it will cost to rent storage in New York largely depends on the size of the facility:
- 5’X5′ storage monthly rates usually range from $35 to $85. As it can fit the contents of a closet, it could be a good place for storing off-season clothes, accessories, and small sports equipment.
- 5’X10′ storage unit typically costs between $55 and $125 per month as it can be as large as a small room. Therefore, you can use it to keep your mattresses, dressers, and extensive sports equipment safe.
- 10’X10′ units cost between $100 and $180, and they can accommodate up to two full bedrooms. It’s commonly used for storing large furniture pieces, appliances, small vehicles, and winter gear.
- 10’X15′ storage units cost about $120 – $200 per month and are ideal for storing the contents of three full bedrooms – sofas, tables, beds.
- 10’X20′ storage facilities may cost up to $300, and they could accommodate the contents of a small house or vehicles.
- 10’X30′ units are commonly used for business purposes and store large furniture pieces, equipment, and vehicles.
- Choose your own size according to your own preferences and needs while ensuring you aren’t overpaying anything.
- Shelves can do wonders and create additional space.
- Pack smart and follow various online guides that will maximize efficiency and save up a bunch of space
Once you familiarize yourself with how much it will cost to rent storage in New York, you will be able to choose one. Of course, according to your needs and budget.
Renting a storage unit is becoming a growing trend globally because of its numerous perks while the main one being saving up a bunch of space. Besides the obvious, storages are an excellent solution for the stuff you don’t want to throw away but want to preserve certain items.
Now, the prices vary depending on the location, size, and type of storage. In order to determine whether or not you can afford the desired storage, it’s essential to take a couple of factors into consideration. Besides the primary factor we already mentioned, evaluate security, climate control, and lease period. There are a couple of ways to reduce storage costs. You can donate or throw away excessive items. Just remember to recycle anything you can. When it comes to New York, there is a wide range of options and companies that rent storage units, so make sure to explore the background of the company and the policy towards the consumers. Be cautious since there are many fraudulent companies out there, and make sure to choose a trusted service. While deciding, we recommend putting a great accent on user reviews.