If you are lucky to have rare pieces of antique furniture, you are probably aware that moving them to a new residence may be very challenging. Being valuable from artistic, practical and sentimental standpoint, antique furniture requires special approach during the household relocation. Moving expensive pieces of furniture on your own can be very risky, so in this case it’s highly recommended to find specialty movers who will handle your precious items with the finest professional care. However, there are certain steps that you alone can take in order to make sure your relocation goes smoothly.
Tips for moving antique furniture
– Find reputable and reliable movers.
As it turns out, the most important action you can take is to find experienced professional movers who will ensure that your valuable and irreplaceable furniture pieces reach their new destination undamaged. After you get in touch with several antique furniture movers make sure you get quotes and discuss the details of the move so that you can decide which offer works best for you and your moving budget. Let the movers assess your belongings of high sentimental and monetary value and provide an accurate moving estimate.
– Prepare your antique furniture for moving.
Plan your move thoroughly. Don’t leave anything to chance. Even the slightest damage to the antique furniture can diminish its value, so it’s in your best interest to hire trustworthy movers who will make sure your items are delivered intact.
– Check if your new place provides a suitable environment for your expensive pieces of furniture. Also, if your antiques need to be stored for some time, make sure you opt for a climate-controlled storage facility.
– Have your antique furniture appraised before the move, so that you can get a proper insurance coverage. It will also allow you to file a claim in case your furniture gets damaged in transit.
– Let your movers inspect each item and help them come up with an efficient plan. Inform them about all loose, hidden parts or delicate areas they need to pay extra attention to. You could use the experience of professionally trained movers to have your precious antiques packed and protected properly.
– Have each item photographed from all angles. This kind of evidence may turn out to be useful if you need to make a claim against your NYC relocation company due to the damage made to your priceless antique furniture.
– Purchase a comprehensive insurance that will cover all valuable pieces of furniture. Make sure your antiques are fully insured while in transit.
– Make sure your furniture fits into your new place by getting the dimensions of the furniture and the doorways. Furthermore, an efficient floor plan will help you better organize your new home by placing your antique furniture right where it belongs.
– Clean and empty your furniture a few days before the move. Ensure your peace of mind by letting professional packers do all the hard work and prepare your valuable furniture for the upcoming move. They will find the safest possible way to dismantle the furniture and secure its detachable parts.
– Reputable movers are using quality packing and protective material to keep your furniture safe from moisture, scratches and dirt.
– Inspect your furniture thoroughly once it reaches the new destination. In case you notice any damage made during the transport discuss it with your movers and insurance company and find out which steps you should take to get compensation.
– If everything’s in order and your furniture pieces are delivered safe and sound, place them where they belong. Also, make sure your children and pets are away while your furniture is being unloaded.