Unless you lighten the moving load you will be paying a lot of money to have your household possessions packed and moved to the new residence. One of the most efficient ways to reduce clutter is to organize a garage sale and the upcoming move is a perfect time to decide what to keep and what to leave behind. A reduced weight of your shipment means lower moving expenses, so not only will the move cost less, but also the pre-move garage sale will generate additional funds that may be put to good use during the relocation process.
How to hold a garage sale?
Like any other event, a successful garage sale requires a good organization. By following our tips and tricks you can come up with an efficient plan how to organize a profitable garage sale prior to the moving day.
– Make an inventory of thing that you no longer need.
”One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”. Outdated things or items that you may easily replace once you settle into your new home other people may find very valuable. Inspect all often ignored areas in the house – basement, attic, garage, since the items that have been accumulated over the years are likely to end up there.
– Classify all items according to the purpose, use and value. Make sure the items for sale are clean and in good shape so as to get the best possible price.
As strange as it may sound, people are also interested in broken and seemingly undesirable items, so make sure to secure potentially dangerous and sharp goods.
– Compile a list of things for sale along with the prices so that you can keep track of them.
– Attach a reasonable price to each item. Your main goal is to get rid of as many items as possible, not to earn a fortune.
– Be flexible and ready to bargain. People are usually looking for additional discounts, so be ready to lower the prices in order to sell as many products as possible.
– Collect your friends’ and neighbors’ old and unused items so as to make a larger sale. Have other people hold a garage sale at the same time. Chances are that their visitors will come by and see your items as well.
– If there are any local restrictions regarding similar events, make sure you know about them in advance. Get a permit if it’s required so as to avoid unnecessary fees and tickets.
– Set date and time for the garage sale during the first week of the month if possible. Start early in the morning so as to make the most of the day ahead of you.
– Choose an appropriate and easily accessible location with a lot of parking spots.
– Advertise your garage sale and tell your friends, relatives and neighbors to spread the word about the event. Distribute the flyers around the neighborhood and put an ad in the local newspapers including all relevant details like location, date and exact time. Also, social media platforms may work to your advantage.
– Systematically displayed items and a tidy yard or garage are more likely to attract potential buyers. Make your customers feel comfortable while searching through your items. Give your customers enough room to look and shop at the yard sale. Consider preparing some snacks and refreshments for your customers as well so as to add more interest to the event.
– Keep your home safe while holding a garage sale.
– Donate what you cannot sell. There’s no point in bringing the leftovers back into your home after the sale is over. In order to reduce clutter as much as possible, designate a free box containing the items you are willing to give away. Remember, the main goal is to lighten the moving load and pay less for packing and transportation services.