According to some researches, moving house is one of the most stressful situations in life. Whatever the reason for the move is, moving process itself is very demanding and overwhelming. The success of the move depends on your financial situation, time, additional help,… If you are lacking some of these factors, the situation is likely to become even more traumatic.
Here’s a list of several most problematic moving tasks and tips how to make them easier.
– Purchasing/renting a new home and selling the old one. Searching for a proper home for you and your family can be very difficult especially if you are new to the city. Hiring a good real estate agent is certainly an option, but there are so many other decisions and choices to be made in terms of location, neighborhood, house/apartment characteristics,… Also, if your current home is your property, you will have to figure out what to do with it – whether you will sell it or rent it.
– Repair works and home improvement projects both for new and old home will take some time and money, so figure in all additional expenses. Also, both homes need deep cleaning, so make sure to clean your new home before the moving truck arrives. If you are moving to another country, it’s quite impossible that you clean it personally, so you may consider hiring professional renovation and cleaning services.
– Letting your family and friends know that you are moving. Sharing the big news with your loved ones is sometimes very difficult step, especially if you are relocating to another country/state. Children can be really shocked by the decision, so you should be very patient and attentive while communicating this important decision. Adolescents and young children may have trouble understanding why they have to leave everything they know behind and face the uncertainty of a new environment, so they are likely to show strong disagreement, anger and even sadness.
– Hiring trustworthy movers. It can be a tricky task, especially if you are NYC resident. Moving industry in New York City is constantly growing and, as a result, there are various types of movers and moving companies. Unfortunately, some of them are performing fraudulent actions and being a victim of such company is probably the worst thing that could happen during the move. In order to obtain the best possible service, make sure to research moving companies carefully. read reviews, get several moving quotes and compare them, be informed about the terms and conditions of the move,…
– Packing, moving, unpacking without any professional help. This option makes sense only for short-distance moves and involves a lot of lifting, bending, planning, loading, unloading, packing, unpacking,…Getting moving supplies, tools and some helpers will make the move less complicated.
– Making a home inventory. Make a checklist of all items your movers will transport to the new place. Go through each room and note down your possessions so that you can easily check if something’s missing once your goods reach the new place. In order to reduce the moving load consider decluttering. You shouldn’t move everything you own, so do whatever it takes to get rid of unnecessary items.
– Packing fragile items. Delicate items need special handling, so make sure you know all packing techniques or hire professionals to do that for you. Packing your belongings properly will ensure their safety on the way to the new home.
– Handling paperwork. Collecting and sorting out all necessary documents before the move is one of the top priorities. Some documents should be retrieved, updated or cancelled and all these procedures may take a while, so start dealing with paperwork as early as possible.
– Saying goodbye to the friends and your home. Leaving behind your friends and home is never easy. Take your time to visit your favorite places and to see all your friends. Organize a farewell party for your friends, family, neighbors.