Having an in-home moving estimate will ensure an accurate moving quote. Moving estimates provided over the phone happen to be less reliable, so have a moving expert visit your home and assess all your belongings. For certain household items moving companies usually charge additionally. They calculate the rates by size and weight, which is why it is absolutely necessary to have an on-site moving estimate. Heavy, oddly shaped and bulky items are more difficult to handle, load and unload and, as a result, they need special packaging. Some of the heaviest household items are: pianos, king-size beds, couches, large electronics and kitchen appliances, large pieces of artwork, antiques, huge personal library, garden equipment and lawn furniture, safes, valuable personal items like heirlooms and jewelry,…
If moving certain items means exceeding your moving budget, try to find an acceptable and reasonable solution. After you get the moving estimate, decide whether every complicated item is really worth moving to a new home. In some cases, similar items are easily replaceable, so it may be more cost-effective solution just to leave those items out, sell them or give them away. If purchasing a new item is more affordable than moving the old one, do not hesitate to get rid of everything that stands in the way of a smooth, successful move.
Such demanding items need special care and treatment, which is why moving them causes some additional charges. Whether you are moving on your own or hiring professional moving company, do what ever it takes to keep your valuable items safe throughout the move.
Most of the above mentioned items require special packing material, boxes and padding so as to avoid possible damage of your belongings during the move. The following items need special treatment:
– Pianos should be undoubtedly handled by professionals. They typically provide proper wrapping and padding so as to prevent any sort of damage during transition. Also, once the piano reaches your new home, have it tuned by professionals. Plan in advance where exactly it should be placed. Whether you have hired professional movers or you are moving on your own, have a floor plan clearly visible in order to save time and effort.
– Flat screen tv is one of the most delicate household items. Ideally, it is packed and transported in its original box and packaging. Alternatively, you can purchase special boxes and use a lot of Styrofoam, bubble wrap and other soft materials to protect your tv during the move. Remember that even the slightest scratch to the screen can damage it permanently.
– Valuable paintings or mirrors need an extra attention during the packing process. Make an X with the removable tape across the delicate surface. Use padding, mat board, foam, bubble wrap to protect the item. Put it in an appropriately sized moving box. Specialty moving boxes are available at shipping and moving companies. In order to avoid sliding and moving inside the box, stuff it with the newspapers, bubble wrap, padding,..
– Mattresses are very complicated to handle due to the size and shape. Some types of mattresses require special bag or plastic mattress cover that will keep them clean and safe throughout the move. Special bags for moving mattresses are usually offered by moving and shipping companies and those bags also provide proper protection and ventilation. Memory foam mattresses are easier to manoeuvre, due to the fact that they can be compressed.
– Rugs should be clean and ready for the move. The best option would be to have your rugs professionally cleaned before the moving day. Alternatively, a quick vacuum may serve a purpose. Roll it up and secure it with a rope, plastic ties or zip ties. Just make sure to find bags large enough to accommodate your rugs. Plastic or paper wrapping material will keep the rugs protected all along.