When moving, you should be well-informed about the types of moving services available so that you can find suitable NYC moving company. Personal factors that can determine your decision are: moving costs, distance, time, work load, complexity of the move, availability of your friends or relatives to help,…Compare all available options and choose one that suits you best and meets your criteria and demands.
The difference between self service movers and full service movers
Self service movers usually provide limited moving service, since they take care only of driving the moving truck. You are responsible for packing, loading, unloading and unpacking your items, which is why self service movers are available at a very good price. This moving option allows you to save some of money, which is ideal for the people moving on a tight budget. On the other hand, if you go for this this option, you will have to invest a lot of effort, time and patience in order to make it happen, because self service move usually includes a moving truck, a professional driver and in some cases a moving container which you can get even a few days before the move so that you can store and load your items a few days in advance.
The company will drop off as many containers as you need. The moving container can be moved directly to your new place or into storage depending on your situation. Moving companies providing moving containers usually offer the storage services in case you cannot move into the new place the same day you leave your old home. When you rent the container you will have predetermined time within which you will have to unload it. If you need to keep the container a bit longer, talk to the rental company, because they will charge you additionally for that.
On the other hand, if you are too busy to handle the whole move, leave it to the full-service movers to carry out all your requests. Most people would say that you get what you pay for – an exceptional moving service for a significant amount of money. Once you choose this moving option, you can forget about the heavy lifting, because professionals will get it done efficiently and smoothly for you.
A full service movers usually provide following services:
– Disassembling furniture at your old home and reassembling it at the new place. Full service movers are well-organized and equipped with all necessary tools. Too large or too heavy items are likely to get damaged during the transport, so have them dismantled and protected properly. Items like pianos or king-size beds are very difficult to move, so it is highly recommended to have similar items handled by professionals while moving.
– Protecting and wrapping fragile items and large pieces of furniture and supplying packing material like padding, shrink wrap, moving blankets, bubble wrap, packing tape, labels,… Each item that needs special attention will be handled accordingly. They also make sure that the mattresses are properly protected from any sort of damage like stains or dirt using mattress bags.
– Wrapping chairs and shelves in plastic.
– Loading and unloading all the items into/from the truck.
– Reassembling and placing each item where it belongs and removing protective material. – Unpacking the moving boxes. – Taking away all empty boxes and disposing of the used packing material.
If you are unsure as to the type of movers you should hire, weigh carefully all the possibilities. Decide whether the time and effort you will invest in DIY move are worth paying some extra money. Having a lot of large, fragile or delicate items you might be forced to hire full service professional help. On the other hand, if your items don’t require special treatment opt for self service movers.