A cold and snowy weather doesn’t have to be an obstacle when it comes to moving house. Although it’s a perfect time to stay indoors and watch your favorite movie or drink tea, a winter move doesn’t have to be a disaster. Being aware of possible problems and scenarios during the winter move you will be able to deal with them successfully or even prevent them.
Although most of the household moves in NYC take place between May and September, some people would say that moving in the winter has its advantages.
People who prefer cold weather are probably inclined to undertake similar actions (or those who are forced to move during the winter). If you are hesitant as to whether to move during the winter or not, just read on, because we are going to share some hints you may find helpful during the process.
Benefits of moving during the winter
If you decide to move in the winter, you are likely to save on the apartment hunting and moving services.
Winter is a very slow season for the moving and real-estate industry which is why you are likely to find good and affordable apartment as well as cheap moving services. Moving during the off-peak season has its benefits since moving companies offer special discounts up to 30%. You are likely to hire one of the most popular and experienced moving companies at a good price during slow winter months. Also, having decided to move during the winter, you are in a position to negotiate even with the best moving companies in New York City and get a more appealing deal in terms of
rates, additional moving services and other benefits. Remember that it is in their interest to keep you as a customer during the off-season, which gives you the opportunity to negotiate.
Since moving in the winter months may bring a lot of risky and dangerous situations, you should weigh your options and decide whether it is safe for you to perform a DIY move even within a short distance. Due to the unpredictable weather conditions, it should not come as a surprise that hiring a reputable moving company to assist you with your big NYC move is the wisest decision you can make.
Just to sum up the advantages of moving during the winter months:
* More affordable apartments
* Cheaper moving services
* Possibility to negotiate with your movers
* Availability of the best moving companies
How to prepare for moving in the winter
* Start following weather forecast at least one week before the moving day. Inclement weather may also affect the traffic flow, so you need to be informed in advance if there will be some unpleasant weather changes.
* Once you have established your moving day route, find out if it is safe and passable.
* Due to the complete unpredictability of winter season your plans may be changed throughout the process. Should there arise any complication on the road, be ready for a back-up plan. If you are moving with a professional moving company they will certainly know how to manage sudden issues, which are not so unexpected,
since they have a lot of experience dealing with similar complicated situations.
* An emergency contact list may come handy should anything bad happen on the road.
* If you are moving short-distance and you don’t want your car shipped, you should take several safety precautions before you hit the road. Driving under difficult conditions may be very risky, which is why you are expected to take necessary safety measures:
* Service your car and have the battery, tires, fluids, oils and brakes checked. Also, make sure to pack the following items into your car: emergency kit, tire chains, tow rope, ice scrapers, wipers, snow shovel, salt, extra warm clothes, blankets and money and keep them handy at all times.
* Remove snow and ice from the car prior to the move.
* Pack winter driving supplies.
* Less-traveled road are to be avoided. Follow traffic reports so as to check the condition of the roads.
* Maintain safe distance between vehicles and brake carefully.
* Avoid driving during the night.
* Prepare your new home. Have all utilities set up and the heating turned on so that your new home is warm when you arrive.