Whether you are moving house/office or just need more room in your living or working space renting a storage unit is always viable option.
When you start your research you need to be aware that not all storage units are the same and also you should specify your needs and requirements.
Secure and clean storage facility is something that all customers aim to get, but unfortunately it is not always the case. Have in mind following considerations when choosing the storage unit.
Tips for renting a storage unit
– Know exactly what you want to store and for how long so that you can choose a suitable storage unit. Ask the storage company representative whether there are more accurate ways to determine which unit size to rent, whether they can provide some kind of estimate.
– Do you need a storage unit for moving purposes or to store unnecessary items in order to get some extra space? If you are moving house, you may need a temporary storage for your items until you are able to move them into your new home. If you are going to store household belongings because you need an extra space, make sure the storage unit is located close to your home.
– Ask right questions when you contact the storage company. Are the site managers available and easily accessible? Do they seem professional and trustworthy?
– Inquire about the pricing. Depending on the type of storage unit you need the price may vary. Also, some storage companies give discounts for long-term rental or if you pay several months upfront. Military discounts are also possible. Just make sure to know all your options. But, even if you get a discount, make sure that the price will remain the same and ask the manager whether they will raise the rent in the future. Have this statement included in the contract. It’s always better to have such important terms in writing.
– Does the company have positive online reviews? Remember that a recommendation of a friend or relative can be really helpful. Let someone else’s positive experience guide you in the right direction.
– Find out which payment methods are accepted. Are online payments possible?
– Does the storage company offer storage insurance? Get proper insurance, since your household insurance may not be enough and won’t cover the items while in storage. Have all your items fully covered in case of any damage.
– Do you need indoor or outdoor facility?
– Pack your items properly and prepare them for storage. Keep them safe and protected while in storage. Pack your belongings in suitable boxes and label each one according to the content. Bulky furniture pieces should be dismantled and packed individually.
– Do you need a 24/7 access to your belongings? If so, let the storage manager know that. Also, see the unit before signing any contract.
– Visit several locations before signing any contract. Weigh your options carefully and choose a facility that suits you best.
– Whether you are renting short-term or long-term storage, its security system must be infallible. Check whether a security code is required whenever your are accessing the facility. Are there security cameras and individual alarms on the doors of each unit?
– If you are storing temperature-sensitive goods, make sure to rent a climate controlled storage unit so that your items are kept at a regulated temperature.
– Is your storage unit well-maintained? Does the company provide pest control services?
– When signing a lease make sure you understand all terms and conditions and read any fine print so as to reduce the possibility of unpleasant surprises.
– If you have a lot of items to store you may be needing a moving truck. Storage companies usually offer moving
trucks or vans and other moving supplies and you can even get a discount for those additional services.