Before the moving truck reaches its final destination, you need to take several steps to ensure a smooth and efficient move-in.
– Have your new residence prepared for the moving day by making sure that all repair and maintenance works are completed by the time the moving truck arrives.
– Obtain necessary permission to park the moving truck right in front of the building or book a parking space a couple of weeks in advance.
– Book the elevator. Talk to a building manager and ask if there are internal restrictions as to when you are allowed to move in and for how long you can keep the elevator.
– Create a detailed floor plan so that your movers or helpers know where exactly each item goes. Provided that you have labeled the boxes properly, you won’t waste your precious time trying to figure out where each item should be placed.
– Clean the pathways leading from the moving truck up to the home entrance. There should be no obstacles, and if you are moving during the winter, make sure you clear the sidewalks and driveways so that it cannot get more dangerous for the people carrying heavy load.
– Assess doorways in order to make sure all items will fit through. If necessary, remove the doors from their hinges so as to make more space for extra large and oddly-shaped items.
– In order to prevent any damage to your floors and walls protect the interior of your home with a lot of cardboard, old blankets, sheets and film protectors.
– If your move is not handled by professional movers, ask your friends to help you unload the moving truck.
– Everyone involved in unloading process should wear appropriate clothes and sturdy, but comfortable shoes that will enable you to move easily.
– Keep your children and pets busy and out of movers’ way. Ideally, a babysitter or neighbor will take care of them while you can tackle other moving tasks and responsibilities.
Ultimate guidelines for unloading a moving truck
Unloading process should be considered as a strategy planned carefully in advance. Hopefully the following suggestions will help you complete your DIY move successfully and transport your goods undamaged.
– Engage the loading ramp and open the moving truck carefully and slowly in case any of your possessions shifted during the transport.
– Use a utility doll to unload heavy items like kitchen appliances first. Also, remove light moving boxes placed on top of heavy furniture pieces and appliances, since they are preventing you from reaching other heavy boxes and furniture.
– Next, unload small and large furniture pieces and take them to the corresponding rooms.
– Always keep in mind proper lifting technique so as to keep injuries at bay. Remember that you should lift the load from the knees, not from the back, always keeping your neck straight and head up.
– Make a floor plan and color codes visible for the people who carry your household possessions so that each item is delivered to its designated room.
– Once the moving truck is completely unloaded, take a look around the entire storage area and check if you have missed something. Once the move is over, have the fuel tank topped up before you return the moving truck. Make sure you return it on time as per the contract you have with the rental company.
– Install appliances and reassemble furniture as soon as you start unpacking. Remove all straps, moving blankets, bubble wrap and padding materials that were used for packing.
– If you hire a professional team of movers NYC you can rest assured that they will handle each aspect of the move in a timely and efficient manner. In the meantime, you can run your personal errands or just relax.