Packing and moving the living room is more demanding task than expected due to numerous tiny and fragile items that need to be properly packed and moved. There are also electronics that require special attention. By following these simple guidelines you can pack and move your living room efficiently.
– Keep it simple. Sort and select the items you will need at your new home. This rule is applicable to any moving situation, whether you are moving bedroom, bathroom or kitchen. Not each item you own needs to be transported, so decide what should be moved or donated/sold.
Packing and moving electronics
– Pack electronics in the original boxes if possible. It would be ideal to pack the electronics in the original packaging, but if you didn’t save them, your NYC movers can provide you with specialty electronics boxes or simple sturdy, double-walled boxes. Electronics should be properly packed and secured with twist-ties, packing tape,…
– Consult the manuals you have received with each device
– there are guidelines for packing and moving.
– Unplug all electronics, clean them and remove dust.
– Secure the cables properly with the twist ties.
– Avoid using packing material that will conduct electricity. Antistatic packing bubbles and popcorn are the safest packing material for electronics.
– Line the bottom of the moving boxes with antistatic bubble wrap.
– Seal the boxes with a packing tape and label them properly.
– When packing television, use blankets and padding to protect it. All additional devices should be packed with it.
– Sensitive items like CDs or software shouldn’t be exposed to high temperatures. Your movers will certainly be able to assist you with packing and securing similar items.
Packing and moving paintings and mirrors
People usually hesitate packing fragile and valuable items like mirrors, frames and paintings and they are more comfortable with hiring professional movers to take care of this task. Either way, have suitable packing supplies on hand: blank newsprint, picture boxes, bubble wrap, packing tape, labels, markers,… – Wrap the picture in the bubble wrap. – Put the picture or mirror in a box which is slightly bigger. – Label the box properly indicating the location in your new house.
Packing and moving fragile, breakable items
– As soon as you pack breakable items, you can operate smoothly through your living room. Use a lot of packing material when you are packing figurines, souvenir, photo frames, lamps, statuettes…. – Go through each drawer and shelf and make sure every item is taken care of. – Wrap each item in the bubble wrap and put the lawyer of packaging peanuts on the bottom of the boxes. – First pack the items you won’t need until you reach your new home. – Label each box so that you can easily identify their content and put them in the right place.
Packing and moving furniture
– Some pieces of furniture are very difficult to handle, so it is recommended to hire qualified professional movers who will make sure your piano or king size bed are delivered without any damage. Some moving companies have more experience in moving pianos than others, so make sure you make the right choice. – The items with drawers or doors should be properly secured so that they don’t open during the transport. – Protect the corners with the packing material your movers can provide you with.
Packing and moving books
– Pack the books of the same size together.
– Use small cardboard boxes and make sure they can be handled easily, because books are very heavy.
– Pack them flat.
– Do not overpack moving boxes.
– If some books have certain sentimental value for you, wrap them separately in advance.
Packing and moving curtains There are several ways of packing curtains and drapes. You can either fold and pack them in cardboard boxes lined with a plastic wrap or hang the curtains over the crossbar in a wardrobe box.