Regardless of the quality and professionalism of a chosen moving company, there are some items you should move yourself. Entrusting your valuables to anyone could be very risky, so it is highly recommended that you take care of them personally. In order to have your belongings safe and sound at your new place, make sure everything is packed and transported correctly and carefully. No matter how professional service your movers provide, some special items need to be transported by the owner. Keep some important items by your side all the time on the moving day.
Other than your essential box, there are some other possessions of yours that you should take with you on the moving day.
– You never know when you will need your personal documents during the relocation process, so have them on hand anytime. Save all moving related receipts along with your passport, ID card, driver’s license, medical records, school records, birth certificate, bank documents,…Some of the expenses are tax deductible, so if your move is work-related you can claim moving expenses on your tax return. Whether you are moving on your own or hiring professional movers find the easiest way to carry all important documents with you.
– Items of sentimental value usually remind you of very important persons or special events, so losing them will certainly cause a lot of pain and stress. Your grandmother’s vase, grandfather’s cigarette case, family portrait are not likely to be stolen, because they usually don’t have monetary value, but they can easily get lost or damaged if not packed and transported properly. If you are not ready to take that risk, move the heirlooms yourself. Safely packing and protecting similar items should be your priority, since they are irreplaceable. Your movers will give you tips on how to pack and protect items of sentimental value during the relocation process.
– On the other hand, jewelry is likely to get stolen or just to disappear if transported along with other household goods. Usually expensive and small items may get lost as well as damaged during the relocation process, so make sure to take them with you when moving.
– Electronic gadgets are very sensitive and extremely high or extremely low temperatures may cause serious damage especially during long-distance moves if transported in a moving truck with other household items. On the other hand, if you are moving expensive electronics in your own vehicle you can adjust the temperature and move them safely. Furthermore, in case you decide to move your laptop, cell phone or camera with you, the trip can be much more exciting. In order to kill time, watch a movie, listen to the music and keep track of your household belongings and the moving truck.
– If some of the antiques fit in your own vehicle, make sure to transport them personally. Artwork is not to be transported on a moving truck, since those items are very valuable and sensitive. Some smaller pieces of art may fit in your car, but if you are moving long-distance, consider shipping them by air. Make sure to pack them in the special crates and protect them with a lot of padding and bubble wrap.
Also, be informed that movers are usually not allowed to move certain items for safety reasons: aerosol cans, cleaning solvents, chemicals, oils, batteries, paints, frozen food, plants, … Dispose of unwanted chemicals properly, use remain food before the moving day or give it away. If you can find the safe way to move some of these items, you are free to do that as well. Apparently harmless items may cause irreparable damage to some items or the whole shipment. Make sure your household items are covered by the proper type of insurance in case something gets lost or damaged.