No matter how professional your movers are, there are times when they make mistakes during the moving process.
A moment of distraction can cause certain damage to your goods, not to mention what could possibly happen if you hire less trustworthy or unprofessional moving company. This is an obvious reason why you should opt for a reputable moving company and pay close attention when choosing professional help when you are moving house.
Licensed and experienced NYC movers with positive reviews and high ratings are always a preferred option. Furthermore, it is highly recommended to get an extra moving insurance protection just in case. However, you should know your rights in such cases and be informed about necessary steps you can take if your goods get damaged or lost during the transition. Submitting a claim is an expected outcome in those situations, so, for that purpose consider the following tips.
Tips for making a claim
– You can file a complaint provided that you have a signed inventory sheet. Professional movers will certainly provide one before the move. Also, it is not a bad idea to take a photo of your belongings before the moving company takes them away.
– Once you find out that some of your items have been broken, damaged or lost during the move, act immediately. Notify the movers as soon as possible and use the original inventory sheet and any other evidence of the previous condition of your goods to report the damage to the moving company. Also, take photos of all damaged items before submitting a claim.
– Broken items should be available for the damage assessment. The moving company representative would like to see the item and inspect the damage.
– Keep copies of all documents you’ve signed and evidence you’ve delivered.
– All damaged items should be kept untouched until the moving company arrives. Do not move the boxes and do not try to fix broken items. In case the broken item is likely to cause major damage to other items or your new home, report the situation immediately, ask for further instructions and act accordingly.
– All moving companies in NYC have regular procedure for making claims, so be prepared to fill in several forms in order to get reimbursed for the damage caused. The time-frame for filling in their claim and for processing it is up to 9 months, but the sooner the better. Give them time to process the claim or complaint, but in case you don’t hear from them within the set time-frame, contact the BBB (Better Business Bureau).
– You may be asked to note the price of the item at the moment you have purchased it and on the day when it was damaged.
– Sometimes customers don’t receive the full refund for the damaged items. If that is the case, you can try to negotiate and get the best possible offer from the moving company. Otherwise, you can take legal actions and proceed with a lawsuit, which could be time-consuming and expensive procedure for both sides.
– If a settlement is an option, make sure to reach one, without involving any third party. Since your goal is a positive outcome of this issue, try to communicate with your moving company in the most civilized way. A reputable moving company will compensate you and make a decent offer for a settlement. In case of a negative outcome, don’t hesitate to file a complaint at FMCSA and share your bad experience with other customers by writing a review. People who are researching moving companies in the Big Apple find these reviews very valuable. Unfortunately, unprofessional moving companies exist and there are also fraudulent moving companies lurking, so take all necessary precautions in order to prevent some undesirable events.