A safe is a tricky item to move due to its dimensions and weight.
A heavy safe is designed to protect your personal valuables from burglars or thieves, therefore they are difficult to remove from a house. Oddly shaped, heavy and bulky household items usually need a special approach when it comes to moving them to another house. Some household items are really easy to handle, while others require special attention and sometimes professional assistance.
Oddly shaped, heavy and bulky household items usually need a special approach when it comes to moving them to another house. Some household items are really easy to handle, while others require special attention and sometimes professional assistance.
Tips for moving a safe
Have in mind the following considerations when you decide to move your home safe.
– Make safety your top priority. Take good care of your household items and the people involved in the move.
– Prepare the safe for the moving day by removing its content. Bare in mind that small portable safes containing documents or money can be considered as sturdy, secure, metal moving boxes which can accommodate valuable and expensive items during the move. However, an empty safe is easier to move and maneuver, so make sure you remove everything from your large, heavy safe.
– Pack its content separately and ensure maximum safety and protection throughout the move. It is highly recommended to take all important documents, cash and valuables with you.
– Consider purchasing an appropriate insurance for your valuables during the transition in case your household coverage is not sufficient.
– Assess your moving budget. If you cannot afford to hire professional movers to deal with your safe, make sure you gather enough strong and capable helpers.
– Weigh your moving options. Moving a huge safe to another home can be really challenging, especially if you are doing it on your own. Bare in mind that moving heavy and cumbersome items can be really dangerous for you and other people who are helping you. That being said, you should be mindful of your and your helpers’ well-being and try to stay uninjured throughout the relocation process. Therefore, hiring professional moving company that specializes in moving huge and oddly-shaped items is a logical and safest thing to do.
– Wear proper clothing on a moving day. Take every precaution necessary to stay healthy and uninjured during the process. Dealing with large household items can be very risky if you are not familiar with the measures that should be taken. Wearing protective gloves, proper shoes and comfortable clothes will allow you to move easily.
– Get proper moving supplies – appliance dolly, moving straps and protective packing material. Due to its particular dimensions and weight a heavy-duty appliance dolly is absolutely necessary for moving your safe. Use furniture blanket to wrap the safe in order to prevent serious damage in case it hits the floor or walls. Measure your safe before you rent or borrow required equipment.
– Place protective mats, large pieces of cardboard, old carpets or blankets on the floor.
– Make a moving plan. Provided that your helpers have shown up on time the moving adventure can begin. Make sure there are no obstacles on the way to the moving vehicle. Avoid dangerous zones in the house if possible. If not – make them safe.
– Once the safe in loaded onto the appliance dolly proceed slowly and carefully one step at a time, especially when you are going down the stairs. Make sure the safe is firmly attached to the dolly with straps.
– The moving vehicle should be equipped with the loading ramp, which is necessary for loading heavy and bulky items.
If moving a safe seems too complicated, do not hesitate to contact local specialty NYC movers to help you out. Get several NYC moving estimates and choose the company that meets your needs and requirements.