Only when preparing for the move people usually realize how difficult some household items are to deal with. Bookcases are bulky and inconvenient to move, so make an efficient strategy so as to ensure a safe transport of your personal library.
– Sort through your items on the bookshelf and make separate piles of books, souvenirs, photos, decorative items and any other items that are placed on it. Bookcase itself is usually heavy and you certainly don’t want to lift it with all the books on it.
– Now that you have emptied the bookshelf, go through the books carefully and check if there are some that you no longer need. Although the books are one of the most valuable items in your house, it’s a perfect moment to return the books to your friends or library or to give them away.
– Clean the books before you start packing them. It is recommended to put them standing upright, so as to avoid the possibility of any damage.
– Find proper packaging for your books – sturdy cardboard box or plastic containers. If you choose cardboard moving boxes, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to secure them additionally with a packing tape. Specialized plastic containers are stackable and easy to handle. Either way, try not to overload the boxes, because someone will have to lift, carry, load and unload them on the moving day. Also, make sure the books cannot move inside the box by inserting some bubble wrap or other cushioning material. Mind the size of the moving boxes. No matter how large the box is, you will probably tend to fill it up and make it too heavy to be moved.
– When you are packing souvenirs and photos make sure to use suitable packing material like bubble wrap and any other cushioning material, as well as corner protectors.
– No matter the size and weight of the bookcase, you should always use proper moving equipment. Get furniture sliders, so as to protect both your bookcase and the floor. In case you choose to use your strength and move a smaller bookcase yourself, mind the lifting techniques – use your legs and arms, not your back.
– Disassemble the bookcase in order to make it easier for transport. Make sure that the shelves are clean and wrapped individually so as to avoid the possibility of scratching. Use the relevant manuals while disassembling the bookcase. If you haven’t saved the manuals, take notes or pictures of every step, so you won’t have trouble reassembling it.
If the bookcase cannot be dismantled at all, use the plastic wrap and padding to protect it from possible damage during the transport.
– Keep all small pieces and screws together in one box so you can put them back on easily once you reach your new place. If the bookcase has removable leg, pack them separately. If not, wrap them and protect properly for transit.
– If repair work in your new house/apartment are still in progress and you have to move out from the current home, consider storing your furniture for a while. So, for that purpose, find a humidity-free and climate-controlled unit.
– You can either move the bookcase yourself or contact the experts to help you. After all, professional NYC movers have a lot of experience and they will certainly move your most treasured items carefully and smoothly. Get moving quotes from several companies and choose the offer that fits your budget and seems the most convenient for you.
– After your bookcase and other pieces of furniture are safely moved to the new place, take your time to arrange it according to your place and preferences.