Fine art pieces usually add charm and character to your home. If arranged and displayed in the tasteful manner, artwork can make your place feel like home. Since those one-of-a-kind items usually have great monetary and sentimental value, their owners would like to take all precautions to keep them safe on the moving day.
When the time comes to move house, you should know that fine art moving requires a specific approach. Not only should you get proper moving supplies, but also you should have a deeper understanding of artwork itself. Not being skillful enough to move all precious items themselves, most artwork owners decide to hire moving companies experienced in art logistics.
Whether you are going to store or move your artwork to another home, you need to find fine art movers qualified for this kind of job. They should be properly equipped and trained to provide the highest standard of fine art moving services.
Now that we’ve established that hiring professional fine art movers is indispensable to get the job done, you should assess your options, find the most suitable moving company and figure out which fine art movers’ services you need. Full service option include assessing your fine art pieces, deciding which kind of supplies are needed, packing, transporting, unpacking. It’s their responsibility to find the safest way to transport your artwork, antiques and collectibles and ensure that every aspect of the move is handled in the right manner.
Reputable fine art movers know how to accommodate all your needs and take good care of your valuables whether they are stored or on the way to your new home.
How to move fine art
If, for some reason, you cannot or won’t hire a moving company that will help you move your high-value artwork, the following considerations may be helpful to you. If you have already moved your valuables on several occasions, you are probably familiar with the procedure.
– Have your fine art pieces appraised and insured by a qualified professional.
– If you are moving during the summertime, make sure you rent a climate controlled moving vehicle or storage unit. In order to stay intact, temperature-sensitive items like oil paintings should be transported under specific conditions. If you are not willing to pay extra for a climate-controlled moving truck, organize your move in the fall or winter. This decision also comes with certain advantages and disadvantages, so make sure you are completely aware of each of them when you are planning your big move.
– Learn how to pack your valuables. Although you can use original packaging or modify large moving boxes, wood crating seems to be by far the most suitable option. Custom crates are usually offered by professional NYC movers who perform an on-site assessment of the goods that need to be transported.
– Wrap artwork with a lot of packing paper and bubble wrap. Also, refrain from using newspapers, since they can leave ink marks on your artwork. Use fine tissues, cushioning wrap, double-walled cartons so as to keep your fine art safe while on the way to your new home.
– Adjustable boxes should be lined and stuffed with lots of bubble wrap and padding material. Fill all the gaps so as to make sure your valuables cannot move inside the box.
– If you are moving paintings framed with glass, make an X with the masking tape over its surface so as to keep all pieces together in case the glass gets broken during the relocation process.
– When you close the boxes, mark them as fragile, so that your helpers know that they should be handled with the utmost care.