Attempting to move a piano in NYC on your own without being properly informed about the strategy and precautions you need to take is a challenging undertaking. Unlike other large and cumbersome items, moving a piano takes more than plain physical strength. Its parts are very susceptible to damage, so make sure to protect both your piano and people helping you with the move.
– Make safety your top priority.
– Inspect the surroundings. Are you going to move the piano up and down stairs or across a flat floor?
– Check whether the piano will fit through each doorway. Know exact dimensions and weight of the piano.
– Gather helpers and volunteers. The weight of the piano, distance and the type of the surroundings will determine how many people you will need to assist you, in case you decide to perform DIY move. An effective teamwork and cooperation will help you maintain balance of the piano throughout the process. However, consider what can possibly go wrong if you decide to go through the relocation process without a professional assistance.
– If you do decide to go for a professional assistance, choose New York City movers that have a lot of relevant experience in the field and those who are registered with the Department of Transportation in your city.
– The chosen NYC moving and storage company should be able to offer an insurance. Also, check if your already existing insurance provide sufficient coverage.
– Run thorough background check on your prospective movers and try to get to know better people you are entrusting your treasured goods.
– After doing an moving estimate, your movers will know exactly how many people it will take to get the job done and which equipment is required. The safest way to move the piano is by engaging moving pads, ramps, slings and special technique and skills only the professional movers have.
– If you have trouble finding a reputable NYC moving company that specializes in moving pianos, pay a visit to the nearest piano store, since they might be able to provide you with some names.
How to move a piano safely
– Prepare heavy duty furniture straps, moving blanket, furniture dollies, wrapping material, moving tape,…
– Remove all items that are on the way to your movers.
– Put a moving dolly near the opposite end of the piano and the moving blanket under one side of the piano.
– Arrange your helpers so that some of them are able to lift the piano and the other slide the moving dolly under it. Secure the piano on the dolly and make sure it is stable.
– Each side of the piano should be supported by at least one person in order to keep the piano balanced.
– Keeping the piano in the upright position is highly recommended, otherwise the inner mechanics and structure may get damaged.
– Wear proper clothes and shoes. Your safety should be your top priority. Also, mind lifting techniques – lifting with your back, instead with your legs can cause serious injuries and health issues.
– The piano should be one of the first items to load into the truck, so place it at the back of the moving truck.
– Plan in advance where the piano will be placed in your new house.
– Piano will need to be tuned at some point, but it’s a good idea to wait until the piano is totally settled into its new environment. Pianos are extremely heavy, so moving them even within the same room is a difficult undertaking, not to mention moving to another room or up and down stairs. Also, every time you move the piano, it should be tuned afterwards.